New chook help! How do you store your eggs?

I refrigerate. I have egg storage drawers as well as ceramic caddies so I can hold 7 dozen on 1 refrigerator shelf...
Could you share a picture of your ceramic caddies? Or a link to what they are if that is easier.

How do y’all store your eggs? Shelf, skelter, basket, something else?

If stored at room temp, how long before they’re bad?..
Pretend bonus points if you have pictures!
I store them unwashed in a corelle bowl or egg carton on the table or counter. My research indicates they will not go bad for at least several weeks (a month or more; even the most conservative recommendations are for 2 -3 weeks.) So far we have eaten them within about ten days and can't tell a difference between the freshest and oldest. I haven't boiled any - a difference will show up there first, I think.

I like the spiral thing but can't justify the price. I don't get enough eggs to lose track of which are older.

Room temperature at our house is between 70 and 76 in the winter due to older people needing it warmer than I would keep it. They wear long johns, turtle neck, cashmere sweater and sweatshirt and often a robe too. I wear shorts and tee shirt. No one is really comfortable but everyone can more or less tolerate it.

Attachments

• 9347C583-2C49-4A60-8BA8-9C12237022AF.jpeg
    9347C583-2C49-4A60-8BA8-9C12237022AF.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 0
  • 10069281-91A7-447C-8ADB-1302B71141B6.jpeg
    10069281-91A7-447C-8ADB-1302B71141B6.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I refrigerate. I have egg storage drawers as well as ceramic caddies so I can hold 7 dozen on 1 refrigerator shelf - if I add a standard egg carton (enough room to squeeze one sideways) that bumps it to 8 dozen.

I expect my eggs to stay good for up to 3-4 months refrigerated & unwashed - in fall, I slow down usage and start saving up eggs so I'll have hopefully enough to get through winter without having to buy any.
I was thinking about storage drawers for the fridge. If they’re good 3 to 4 months, I’ll probably store the majority that way. That would be plenty of time to have them used by.

oh my god!
My mother in law has the same reaction 🤣
freezing!

67* all year round for me.

the only exception being in the winter, the heat is off from 10pm-5am because it’s good to sleep in a cold room. it gets down around 60, but it’s back up to 67 by the time we’re up and eating breakfast
I love a cool house, especially when I’m sleeping.
and he’s right. you’re all crazy!

if i’ve gotta wear more than shorts/sweats and a t shirt when i’m home it’s too cold.
I’ve definitely been called crazy a few times. Haha

A sweatshirt is much more cost effective than propane. We have heated throw blankets too if we get too chilly.

I use one of these, and arrange them so I know where the newest/oldest eggs are

I’m actually not a big egg consumer and between 5 laying chickens they fill up pretty quick in summer!

ZOUREMART Household Egg Fresh Storage Box for Fridge,60 Eggs Drawer for Refrigerator,Double-layer Eggs(or Duck’s Eggs) Storage Container,Clear Plastic tray. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08VJ4XJ19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_K1W7PE42VWXS1G1FJW6Y

Could you share a picture of your ceramic caddies? Or a link to what they are if that is easier.
They look like this: - I got mine from Cost Plus World Market but I don't see it listed on their website right now.
I use one of these, and arrange them so I know where the newest/oldest eggs are

I’m actually not a big egg consumer and between 5 laying chickens they fill up pretty quick in summer!

ZOUREMART Household Egg Fresh Storage Box for Fridge,60 Eggs Drawer for Refrigerator,Double-layer Eggs(or Duck’s Eggs) Storage Container,Clear Plastic tray. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08VJ4XJ19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_K1W7PE42VWXS1G1FJW6Y

The drawers I use are the same ones, pretty handy for fitting a lot of eggs on a fridge shelf.

Back
Top Bottom