New chook house (with pics)

G'day

Thanks for your input. The house has ventilation through the roof and under the eaves. We can always add more ventilation, if we find it needs it, by cutting windows in the iron and putting in frames with flywire. The house will also be shaded in Summer that will keep out some of the heat. In regards to the metal sheds, they are the most common variety in Australia.

The floor covering is actually the wood shavings, i just used the wrong term. We have a couple different grades of shavings.

We haven't put locks on the nesting boxes yet. We are in Australia so don't have racoons or opossums. The boxes hang in mid air on the outside, so the critter would have to be quite tall to get in, and then strong enough to open the lid. The only concern we might have is from drop bears dropping from the tree onto the box and breaking it open.

We moved the waterer from their original yard, and we haven't had any problems with them perching on the side, knock on wood!

Cheers,

Yoz

WHAT is a drop bear???
smile.png

Quote:
The drop bear is a carnivorous animal related to the Australian koala, but bigger. They get their name from dropping from trees onto their prey's head and attacking them.

http://www.cfr.com.au/dropbears/

Cheers,

Yoz

Yoz, PLEASE tell me you are kidding about the Drop Bears!! I went to the website and read and it said that no picture has ever been taken of one...related to Nessy? My niece flys to Au. weekly for Quantas and I was going to call my brother and have him pull her butt off the plane!

Quote:
G'day

If she stays in the capital cities she should be ok, they are mainly a problem in the bush- dropbears and the scary hoopsnakes.

Cheers,

Yoz

LOL. You are a case, Yoz.
lol.png
When you get a picture, be sure and let us know, tho. I hadn't ever heard this tale. I did look for Nessie when were were at Loch Ness but didn't have any luck spotting h er, either.

Back
Top Bottom