New Club — Help Please!

jolenesdad

┑( ̄▽ ̄)┍
7 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
I don’t know where is best for this, so I put it under egg-laying. If an admin finds a better place, feel free to move!

I’m starting a chicken club to focus most entirely on egg-laying and egg-laying projects for youth and new chicken keepers. I would LOVE any advice you may have.

In our area, (near Houston, TX) 4h and FFA only have broiler projects. Many neighborhoods have stipulations that chickens can only be through 4h or FFA, but there’s nobody that does egg projects and egg shows. My feed store and I have decided to change that so that we can provide an outlet for interested chicken keepers, and an alternative to having to slaughter birds.

Is anyone a part of such a group? Would anyone like to help us? I’m specifically looking for information in building our annual egg show. We must be a legitimate, community-based organization in order for people to raise chickens where it is otherwise prohibited, and we will do this by providing mentorship thriugh the projects, a high-caliber professional egg show, and scholarship opportunities.

We are just in the starting phases, but here’s what I’m hoping members here can help me with. I have experience with organizations and nonprofits, however nothing formal in the world of chickens.

— advice/suggestions on preparing and hosting an egg show
— anyone who has regularly participated or created such events who would be available for occasional e-mail q&a’s during our growth
— ideas on what you’d like to see in an organization like this if you were a part
— ideas for projects around eggs. (Monthly, quarterly, annually, ongoing, etc.) these can be scientific, production, business, health, etc.
— ideas for prize sponsors who may be interested

Thank you in advance for any help you have!!!

C35DAE3F-39B0-4B8D-88A5-1B48CD6158FF.jpeg

For projects centered around eggs, this may be of interest to you:
official-byc-mini-contest—creative-eggs-eggshells.1278905

There are also various posts where kids have used eggs for science fair projects (testing homemade incubators, seeing what affect various foods have on yolk color, etc.). If you do a search of the forums you should be able to find examples.

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

I don’t know where is best for this, so I put it under egg-laying. If an admin finds a better place, feel free to move!

I’m starting a chicken club to focus most entirely on egg-laying and egg-laying projects for youth and new chicken keepers. I would LOVE any advice you may have.

In our area, (near Houston, TX) 4h and FFA only have broiler projects. Many neighborhoods have stipulations that chickens can only be through 4h or FFA, but there’s nobody that does egg projects and egg shows. My feed store and I have decided to change that so that we can provide an outlet for interested chicken keepers, and an alternative to having to slaughter birds.

Is anyone a part of such a group? Would anyone like to help us? I’m specifically looking for information in building our annual egg show. We must be a legitimate, community-based organization in order for people to raise chickens where it is otherwise prohibited, and we will do this by providing mentorship thriugh the projects, a high-caliber professional egg show, and scholarship opportunities.

We are just in the starting phases, but here’s what I’m hoping members here can help me with. I have experience with organizations and nonprofits, however nothing formal in the world of chickens.

— advice/suggestions on preparing and hosting an egg show
— anyone who has regularly participated or created such events who would be available for occasional e-mail q&a’s during our growth
— ideas on what you’d like to see in an organization like this if you were a part
— ideas for projects around eggs. (Monthly, quarterly, annually, ongoing, etc.) these can be scientific, production, business, health, etc.
— ideas for prize sponsors who may be interested

Thank you in advance for any help you have!!!

View attachment 1666297
You might approach the manufacturers of chicken-related products.

I'm co-organizer of one of the largest chicken meetup groups in the country with over 800 members.
Dallas has a huge one and there is another in the Austin area.
I think Houston has a chicken facebook group as well.
Here are some links you may find helpful.

https://www.meetup.com/AustinBackyardPoultry/boards/thread/8330191/0/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-member-looking-for-local-meetup-group.1269800/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/houston-area-backyard-chickens.1225557/

Our group has morphed over time. The initial focus was on coop tours. Due to concerns about biosecurity, we've done other things that don't threaten our flocks. We sometimes just meet for lunch, coffee or a potluck picnic. We also have chicken book sharing meetups.

Back
Top Bottom