New Color Varieties of Ameraucana......pictures from breeding projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
HONEY was from Blehm lines however her daddy was a Buff Amercuana and mother was a Wheaton....lovely as she looks! And she is for sale, sorry no shipping..pickups in Wateska, IL. The buff lines are the same as Jody's Buff Amercuanas and they are both distant cousins or very closely related.

Honey.jpg

The president of the Amercuana Club said her color is not recognized but to enjoy her and her eggs for colors.

pips&peeps :

the website doesn't list black breasted red as one of the recognized varieties for this breed. Color me very surprised.. yet another new thing learned.

Wouldn't that be wheaten????? I'm just asking because I always thought it was.​

Compare e+(black breasted red) and eWh(wheaten) hens for the most visible difference between the two. e+ hens are richly marked and pencilled all over, wheaten hens are basically buff-bodied with black on tail and neck.

The roosters do look very similar but there are minor differences, however there are hundreds of different genes that affect both wheaten and BBR, so often it is impossible to tell if a specific rooster is wheaten or BBR and only way to find out would be test mating.

On the surface they may not look majorly different(they ARE two different genes though!), but those two are extremely important as bases for some breeds, for various color patterns more specifically. Most of the time it is not realized because the familiar pattern of bbr and wheaten is massively altered by other genes. For example RIR I believe are all wheaten based, yet you can't see the black breast or red necks on the roosters..​

Wow, I just saw those photos! The Splash and Black Gold are beautiful!

I am new to chicken raising...just ordered a quad of lavender and black Ameraucanas (from John Blehm stock). Was wondering if anybody had suggestions for interesting crosses....I do not want to get a ton of chickens, just maybe a few more hens (no roos!).

In the quad are a lavender roo, two black pullets, and a lavender pullet. I'd like to try for a pattern like in the Splash and Black Gold photos. What color hen would be fun to try? I am just learning about chicken color genetics, and some of this is very complicated for me to figure out.

Any ideas? I don't want to show, just get some pretty birds for eggs and enjoyment!

Quote:
You will not be able to get a Splash bird from a LavenderxBlack crossing.

When you cross a lavender to black, the F1 cross will produce all black offspring that will carry the lavender gene (heterozygous). If you bred those offspring back the the lavender parent, then you could get 50% heterozygous and 50% Lavender birds. If you bred them back to the Black parent, you would get 50% heterozygous and 50% black.

Basically, all you would get are Lavenders, Blacks, and Split Black offspring. In order to make a splash bird, you need BBS birds.

Since salmon ameraucana is not intended to match the salmon variety that already exists, doesn't it make sense to give it a different name? I do like the appearance, just think it should have a different name--there is already enough confusion over variety names without adding more.

Wow! Don't know how this thread got resurrected but I sure am glad it did. I somehow missed it before.

Johnny, you heard me say it before but I have loved that Splash Wheaten Cockerel since I first saw it.

I got a few Splash Wheatens this year but they've all been pullets so far. I sure hope to one day get one like that.

Speaking of new varieties, has anyone started to work on a tri-colored Wheaten that looks like Bev Davis' Wheaten Marans? Especially the pullets/hens?

God Bless,

Quote:
Whoever is breeding for blue legs in a barred bird will be disappointed. The barring gene inhibits the eumelanin (black pigment) in the shanks and feet. Genetically, the barring gene (two copies) will prevent the breeder from getting blue shank color. The standard is going to have to change for barred birds.

The breeder needs to talk to John, Mike or Michael (over at ABC) about the breeding project. Someone tried this before and gave up on the project.

Tim

I'd like to know more about the Salmons too. What are they based on? I agree about the name causing confusion.....sorry, not trying to ruffle feathers, after all, who am I? I just think another name might be better, but the color is lovely. I'd like to see more photos, or at least a close-up.

Some of the Lavenders I've seen recently are just wonderful. I recently purchased two cockerels from John Blehm and can't wait to see what they produce with my Black/Lavender split pullets. I hatched the split pullets this Spring from eggs I got from John and from Jean.

Here are some quickie pics of the Lav cockerels.....and these were his culls! I imagine the ones he kept are just stunning! I need to get some better pics. I took these a few weeks ago, right after they came out of the box, lol!

img79672.jpg
img79771.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom