New Color Varieties of Ameraucana......pictures from breeding projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here she is
chickens004.jpg

Quote:
Why silver? IIRC, red pyles are dominant white on e+.. aka black breasted red aka light brown. Some are splashed blue breasted reds, although with those too much flecking and blue tint can be a problem sometimes.

Is there a reason for not using black breasted red instead- that would give red pyles in both sexes?

In soonerdog's case that would be a sex linked mating. Cockerels would be silver(those that also got dominant white would be solid or mostly white) and pullets would be red pyle. Poop's pairing won't be sex linked though.

Does anybody know what the salmons are based on? Looks like dominant white but can't make out the pattern clearly.

Bad joke.. are those considered EE, pending recognition?
wink.png

Kev,

Your reasonings sound right to me.
lol.png
Genetics is greek to me, I know enough to get myself in trouble or confused.

I do, however, have two chickens that look very similar to the one pictured. They are a cross between a wheaten hen and a buff rooster.

Now if you know what genetic backgrounds the buff lines carry, you can explain it to me in layman terms. I do think buff carry e+; but I could be wrong.

Yes they are EE's until they are recognized. (Let's start another thread on that one.
roll.png
)

LOL! Glad someone appreciated that bad joke.
wink.png
Love your profile name by the way.

The most likely case is that your buff probably has Dominant White(I). DW primarily affects black pigment while having no effect or minor on gold series pigments(which includes buff, red).

It is not that easy to make a solid evenly buff bird, stubborn black vestiges on tail or little tiny black flecks on the wings and throughout the body can be a pain to get rid of.. some breeders add DW to Buffs to get rid of the black, and it does the job very well if the buff has only minor (black)flecking.. it can make the buff look cleaner and "light".

I don't know what base most buffs are based on.. it seems a lot are wheaten(eWh) based with columbian(Co) from what few buff discussions I've glanced at. Sorry can't help much there..
sad.png

The good news, if you want to make more like your bird, try breeding them with wheatens or BBRs, it doesn't matter what sex which parent is which. For example, those two chickens of yours, if bred with wheatens, will produce half "similar to those birds" and the other half won't have Dominant White but what they will be also depends on what base they really were.. if they ARE wheaten then the other half will be regular looking wheatens. The other tricky part is what other genes were used in the Buffs.. like Columbian(good for removing black from the main body). If that's there then a lot of the wheatens will have "not quite right" wheaten patterning.

Wheaten and BBR with DW can look similar at a glance, however differences can be seen at close inspection & technically the term "Red Pyle" belongs to e+ base birds with either DW or occasionally Splash.

So Kev, not knowing my hens lineage as far as color, she came from a hatchery is all I know, what would happen if I bred her to a silver male? Would there be a chance that I could get similar pyle looking birds?

I have a few Salmon hens I got from a breeder. I was told they were AOV (All Other Variety), and they didn't like them.
I didn't know I was getting a color that was being worked on.
big_smile.png

I have been working on Blue-Reds, and Blue Pyle. They aren't producing consistent color yet.

Does the Splash Wheaten have blue in his tail feathers? It looks like it to me, but pictures can be deceiving sometimes.

Jean

Quote:
If she's pure for DW then the chicks would pretty much be either solid white or mostly white, if not then half of the chicks will be silver. It's possible some may show some gold leaking through but won't be anywhere like her- maybe a little blush on the breast on the hens and leaking through in streaks on the saddles or the wing on roosters.

The reason for this is because DW works on black but not gold. Silver works by not letting gold show on a bird.. combine the two=white.

Using a BBR EE roo you will get at least half like her. If you go with a silver rooster, keep the son(s) as they will be Ss+ so they will produce half red pyle daughters even if bred with another silver hen(no red pyle sons this way though). Breed a son back with her and you will get red pyles in both sexes.

I finally figured out the possible reason for the advise of breeding pyle rooster with silver hens- the website doesn't list black breasted red as one of the recognized varieties for this breed. Color me very surprised.. yet another new thing learned.

Technically red pyle applies only to DW on BBR. However BBR is not a recognized variety so the advise was going for the next best thing: silvers are simply a BBR with the Silver gene. So a pyle rooster over silver hens is good advise after all for dealing with this breed's quirk, as that is a simple way to get pyle hens. Then breed the pyle rooster with those pyle hens and presto.

the website doesn't list black breasted red as one of the recognized varieties for this breed. Color me very surprised.. yet another new thing learned.

Wouldn't that be wheaten????? I'm just asking because I always thought it was.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom