New & Concerned

newbie-pekin

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Hi all, Im new to the forum and have a small concern about my male pekin duck.

His name is Ohana, he previously had another male friend who passed away to an unknown cause. Ohana now has a female companion named Angel.

They were a little under weight but I have now got them both on layer feed with the occasional vegies/worms/bok choy, which has increased their weight. Its not my concern though.

My concern is that Ohana has started molting and his feathering has now got a yellow tint to it.... He also looks a little rough more than I thought he should look like...

Any ideas, Answer help or suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks all :)

Last edited:
How old are they? My duckling has started to shed her fluff and grow feathers slightly she is around 3 weeks old some of the feathers coming in look rough also I think it's just an ugly duckling stage haha look up what type of food to give at what age and it also differs for male and female at a certain point

Can you post a pic? Ducks do look pretty darn rough when they're going through a moult. I don't know about the yellowed feathers, though. Pics would help I think, though. ;)

Ohana would be coming on 6-9 months and Angel would be about 10-13 months. Ill post pictures in the morning so i can get a good image to show you... Im going to bring them inside and allow them to swim around in the bath, instead of their outside pond..... Oh and im from Australia not sure where everyone else is from, thanks for the responses :)

Last edited:
In summer when it was hitting as high as 40 degrees celcius ohana and his previous friend were ducklings and i was raising them in-doors (they had a pen next to my bed) its currently autumn going into winter and at night can be anywhere between 2-8 degrees celcius. They have got a recycled dog kennel that i lay with straw for them to sleep in

Ohana is pictured on the left angel on the right. The yellow tint doesnt come up very well through images.... To put it plainly he used to have a smooth and milky white feathering (it was better than angels)

Last edited:
Ok so from what I've found it is completely normal and especially after summer and while molting. A reason could be Sun, and even genetics, also corn can cause discoloration but it is in no way unhealthy:) it won't last more than a month since it's beginning to turn autumn

Back
Top Bottom