New coop after storm. How do I get them to use it?

I usually have to lock my chicks up at night to train them where to sleep when I move them to my grow-out coop, even if I leave them locked in there for a week. Each group is different but are usually in the 20 chicken range for numbers. Sometimes they all catch on in just a few days, I have had some go three weeks before all of them caught on. Most of the time it takes about a week for all of them to catch on. It does help to house them in there for a while but it doesn't always work by itself.

Looks like that’s what I will have to do.
I’m finding it interesting that the location of their old house seems to be what is drawing them back. I moved the tree branch to behind the foundations, now most of them are sleeping on the foundations, almost completely exposed. Makes me wonder if I had built the new house exactly there, they would be in it by now.

I’m finding it interesting that the location of their old house seems to be what is drawing them back. I moved the tree branch to behind the foundations, now most of them are sleeping on the foundations, almost completely exposed. Makes me wonder if I had built the new house exactly there, they would be in it by now.
They're keyed in to location, yes. When I built my new coop, it was only about 10' away from the old one (and I removed the old one). After locking the chickens into the new coop for 48 hours, I let them out, and the next evening 2 of the birds returned to the location of the old one and simply sat on the ground for the night. I picked them up, put them in the new coop, and they figured it out from that point on.

They're keyed in to location, yes. When I built my new coop, it was only about 10' away from the old one (and I removed the old one). After locking the chickens into the new coop for 48 hours, I let them out, and the next evening 2 of the birds returned to the location of the old one and simply sat on the ground for the night. I picked them up, put them in the new coop, and they figured it out from that point on.
Looks like we are going to have a stormy weekend, so probably a good time to try lock them in. One of the younger ones put herself to bed in there last night though! I felt like I had won the Lottery :lol:

Back
Top Bottom