New Coop - any suggestions or thoughts

tbitler

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Harrod, OH
Hi all!

Dave finished building our coop. Any suggestions on improvements or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for any comments!

Respectfully,
Traci and Dave Bitler

Very impressive!!! Is that a poop tray I see on the back wall? How many chicks? Is it a permanent structure with protection underneath/around the edges from predators?
It looks great!

yolksonus,

Thanks so much! We truly appreciate the input!

Yes, that is a poop tray.
big_smile.png
We have 6 little pullets (we hope
fl.gif
). We bought "Assorted Layer" pullets from TSC.

It is semi-permanent - meaning that it does have wheels enabling it to be moved; however it does have a bottom frame that is made of 2x4 boards. The frame boards form about a 3" inner lip. Would that be enough of a deterrent for predators to dig under? We are very open to any suggestions.

Thank you again!!

Traci & Dave Bitler

Last edited:
Hi Big Red,

I had to laugh at your reply! My husband's official title is the "King of the Jerry Rig" (no offence intended to those named Jerry
wink.png
).

He appreciated the reply, and I got a little jab from Dave - He says - "See honey, not everything I do is "rigged""
lau.gif

Thanks!!

Traci

We are using hardware cloth on the bottom of ours, all the way around, as well as cement blocks around the edges. Many people suggest placing hardware cloth 12 inches down in the ground at an angle around the entire structure to prevent raccoons, fox, other animals from getting in. We have fox, racoons, and all other sorts of predators, so we opted to use a hardware cloth bottom for the structure and when we are home they will free range in a fenced in area.

Back
Top Bottom