new coop begun-two years later and we're still working on it

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Henrietta23, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    We laid out the floor supports this morning, just to see how things will fit. One tree had to come down. Nothing is attached yet and will need to be leveled etc. but you can see the basic shape. It is much bigger than I expected (bwahaha, more chickens for me!!! [​IMG] ). We start putting things together tomorrow. It is a green house kit that can be modified to have plywood sides. I'm so excited!! I need to get the roosters out of my basement! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

That looks fantastic!!!

Take tons of pics and submit it to the coop design contest!

3. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    that looks huge, I went the cheap route, I got maybe $100 in my little coop. I need to paint it yet.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Wow...my 11 year old would want to live in it as an apartment. [​IMG]

5. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Thanks! Here it is with the floor laid out but not attached.
    They're working on that right now. If I did my calculations right there will be just under 100 square feet of floor space, much more than we need, oh darn! Dh had this kit that his school got for free 20 years ago from the state gov't. It was some surplus thing. The school used one to build a greenhouse and the others have just been sitting there. We gathered up a bunch of old 2x6s that a friend had and cut them to fit, got doors and windows from Freecycle and the dump. We spent about $80 on plywood today and will spend a bit more for that for the sides and roof. We're scrounging everything we can!

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Love your coop! What a neat design! Look forward to seeing it when it is done!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Started the framing this evening. Trying to get us much done as we can before the rain comes this weekend (Saturday night I think. We discovered our great door from the dump isn't going to work. Oh well, it can replace the one on the garden shed.

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Henrietta, what is the general shape of it??? I havent seen a greenhouse shaped like that.

9. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Here is a picture from the plans: [​IMG] and here is a picture of how it would look as a greenhouse. He has extra hardware kits. [​IMG]

10. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    thats going tobe 1 nice looking henhouse when yall get it finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by