New Coop build. Coop is done, run is up next!

I'd open up a large vent under the roof overhang in front.
1 sqft of venting per bird is a pretty good rule of thumb.

x2, that is a very good place for ventilation for your build. Pretty much could open up everything from the cleanout door all the way up to the roofline for ventilation. Really amazing overhang!

The current vents you have are by my estimate barely sufficient for 2 birds, and that's only if they're left open.

We didn’t put linoleum on the floor since it’s too slippery.

Just to check, what did you finish the floor with? Paint?

I get what you’re saying now. We’ll remove the top board on the front of the coop and cut a hole in the plywood behind it to let in airflow, as well as doing the same along the back above the nesting boxes. And attach the screening to the holes to block predators, of course. I’m also removing the covers over the vents that are up now to allow more airflow.
Thank you for all the tips and advice. Greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the advice! We will add 2 more vents for circulation. Should the extra 2 be like the 2 we already have or should we be just drilling out 1” or less holes covered in hardware mesh?

Also, after advice from everyone here we won’t be using the heat lamp or cozy coop heated panel we bought unless absolutely necessary, below -10 or lower.

Can ya wait until -30. Just curious.

We finished our coop a few days ago. Now we just need to make a few minor adjustments and the run will be completed this weekend.
Our coop is currently 4x4 and 4 feet high with very thick insulated walls. We used plywood on the outside with wood siding, then insulated the inside with foam and cardboard, then added paneling and two rows of linoleum around the edge to help with cleanup. We didn’t put linoleum on the floor since it’s too slippery.
We do want to add on to the coop, adding another 2 feet at the back.
I love how it turned out. It has a beach cottage look. 😀
It’s beautiful! Your chickens will be living in a gorgeous home. 🤗

So you’re saying to open up everything from the big door up to the roofline? Isn’t that too much though? What about when it gets cold, won’t it let in too much chill?
It will let OUT all the excess heat from the coop. That's what you want it to do. Chickens don't sweat. Their body temp is around 106F. Coops build up moisture from chickens breathing and the poop. Then their combs get wet and get frostbite. I had my house super insulated with 4" of closed cell foam. Just me here. And yet I have to run a dehumidifier Humidity should be 30-50%. If you see frost on the walls you don't have enough ventilation. I live in Maine. -30F many nights in a thin TSC. My 4 birds were fine. They will put their heads either under a wing or another bird. Feel under your chickens wing. Warm there isn't it. Reach under one on the nest box. Pretty darn warm under there, Needs to be to hatch chicks. OMG sorry to go on, just trying to help.

I get what you’re saying now. We’ll remove the top board on the front of the coop and cut a hole in the plywood behind it
Just to make sure, when you remove that exterior top board under the eave, make sure the entire area from right to left is exposed and hardware cloth is used. You don't want a "hole", you want a large amount of ventilation or you'll end up with trapped moisture and kill your birds from respiratory illness or frostbite.

I get what you’re saying now. We’ll remove the top board on the front of the coop and cut a hole in the plywood behind it to let in airflow, as well as doing the same along the back above the nesting boxes. And attach the screening to the holes to block predators, of course. I’m also removing the covers over the vents that are up now to allow more airflow.
Thank you for all the tips and advice. Greatly appreciated.

Two items-
  • You want heavy duty screening- usually hardware cloth rather than chicken wire or other fencing. The hardware cloth is much tougher to fend off stronger predators (raccoons, etc) and the smaller holes keep out smaller/thinner critters. Make sure it is well anchored- not just staples.
  • The larger amount of ventilation is a definitely a good thing, but you should minimize venting from the windward side and particularly if those holes would allow your cold winds to blow directly on the bird roosts.

By “hole” I meant the exposed area, not literally a small hole.
We did use staples for the mesh but then placed a piece of paneling around the exposed area with several screws for reinforcement.
I will expose the entire top along the roof line from left to right.

Back
Top Bottom