New coop build for new chicks

I don't think they need special food in the winter, they just need enough of it. If they eat more food, they get more of everything (protein, fat, general calories, etc.)

Water is VERY important. If the chickens get thirsty, they will not eat dry food either, which makes two problems at once.

I think it's helpful to give them a wet mash in cold weather-- just their normal chicken food with warm water added. That lets them get water and food at once, and they can fill their crops quickly instead of going back and forth between water and dry food. Of course provide the normal dry food and water too, but mash is nice in the morning when they wake up and especially in the evening so they can stuff themselves before going to sleep.
I have my new metal waterer with a base thats heated to try this winter. I have had limited luck with heated dog bowls. Pretty much went over to rubber bowls. As for a wet mash i am kind of thinking i might try it at some point. I am probably going to try the fermenting feed thing too at some point. But this week i just got a hanging 8 lb feeder and i am kind of liking not have to fill their feeders 3 times a day.

I have my new metal waterer with a base thats heated to try this winter. I have had limited luck with heated dog bowls. Pretty much went over to rubber bowls.
Sounds good :)

As for a wet mash i am kind of thinking i might try it at some point. I am probably going to try the fermenting feed thing too at some point.
Wet mash is like the first step of fermented feed. You just don't let it sit and ferment, so it saves a few steps and still gives about half the benefits. (Of the benefits people claim from fermented feed, some come from getting it wet, rather than from the actual fermenting.)

It's fine to give it sometimes and not others, so you don't have to make a long-term decision and stick with it.

But this week i just got a hanging 8 lb feeder and i am kind of liking not have to fill their feeders 3 times a day.
That definitely sounds more convenient!

As to upping the protein and fat levels. Yes i been thinking i do need to do so. Any recommedations on how to do so ? The last bag of feed i got from town did
You should be able to get regular commercial poultry feed at 20 or 22%

When temps stay below zero F for extended periods I find adding more fat and protein is helpful. Freezer burnt salmon, and left over fats from cooking that I then mix up into their feed works well.

I have never been into feeding wet mash... by the time you get it walked out to the coop, it will just be a cold to frozen ice block. Fat mixed into the feed doesn't freeze as solid/hard as water.

My older sis adds cat food in the winter.

:idunno

If you don't want to increase fat or protein, you could probably get by with just keeping their daylight at 12 to 10 hours. Chickens will not eat in the dark.

I have never been into feeding wet mash... by the time you get it walked out to the coop, it will just be a cold to frozen ice block.
I grew up in Alaska with cold temperatures too.

I would fill a gallon jug with hot tap water, carry it to the coop where the feed was stored, and pour it over cold/dry feed in a dish. The result was warm but not dangerously hot, and the chickens ate it up before it froze.

I'm not saying anyone NEEDS to do wet mash, just saying that my experience in cold weather did not match your experience.

I would fill a gallon jug with hot tap water, carry it to the coop where the feed was stored, and pour it over cold/dry feed in a dish. The result was warm but not dangerously hot, and the chickens ate it up before it froze.

I'm not saying anyone NEEDS to do wet mash, just saying that my experience in cold weather did not match your experience.
Yep, that would work!

Thank you for the useful information. I appreciate it. Yes i seen the average for Fargo. And that is the Average low. We typically are 10 degrees colder than Fargo. February 2022 was the second month in a row with below normal temperatures. The preliminary average statewide temperature was 9.0 degrees or 6.8 degrees below normal.
I do worry more about bears than mice. Mice i can do something about, bears i hope i can. We have 5 big dogs but i have seen bears within a block of my house a couple times a year. Wolves don't typically venture into peoples yards around here. Although they have been sighted a mile or two away. And i have heard them howling a few times.
I have not built my run yet that is my next project.
As to upping the protein and fat levels. Yes i been thinking i do need to do so. Any recommedations on how to do so ? The last bag of feed i got from town didn't have a very high protein content.
Jumping in here in on the protein ? I watched a YT and he bought his chickens floating fish food. I found some @tsc and they love it protein 32 % $21.00. Cheaper than cat food .
I also have a raised coop and when there's snow girls hang out under it. Before I covered the run, I would take old feed bags and lay out to cover ground to make a path to underside of coop. But you prbly have more snow than me.

Jumping in here in on the protein ? I watched a YT and he bought his chickens floating fish food. I found some @tsc and they love it protein 32 % $21.00. Cheaper than cat food .
I also have a raised coop and when there's snow girls hang out under it. Before I covered the run, I would take old feed bags and lay out to cover ground to make a path to underside of coop. But you prbly have more snow than me.
Thats interesting about the floating fish food. I will look into it. I do plan on a covered and protected run for winter. It is my next project. I i am counting on hay or straw on the ground for them to walk on to help keep their feet warmer.

You should be able to get regular commercial poultry feed at 20 or 22%

When temps stay below zero F for extended periods I find adding more fat and protein is helpful. Freezer burnt salmon, and left over fats from cooking that I then mix up into their feed works well.

I have never been into feeding wet mash... by the time you get it walked out to the coop, it will just be a cold to frozen ice block. Fat mixed into the feed doesn't freeze as solid/hard as water.

My older sis adds cat food in the winter.

:idunno

If you don't want to increase fat or protein, you could probably get by with just keeping their daylight at 12 to 10 hours. Chickens will not eat in the dark.
Cat food ? Hmmm never even thought about it.
I was thinking i would probably just have a frozen blob of mash walking it out to the coop. If it was hot it would be letting off steam . Not what i want inside the coop in winter.
I typically mix grease in with our dogfood in the winter (for our dogs). We don't do allot of salmon around here. I usually get about one smoked fish a year as i am the only one in my household that eats it.
As far as lighting up the coop for extra time i have no plans on doing so as i do not want them to start laying until maybe the end of Feb. They hatched August 1st. So we will just play that by ear.

Yes that might work to. Idk i will probably try it all at some point. I might try the wet mash sooner than later as i notice this crumble seems to have allot of powder that the chicks don't touch.

Well as far as getting the chicks outside by themselves. I made a little tunnel to our planned trampoline run. Our automatic door went down while we were inside. They got trapped on the ramp for a few minutes until we went to do a check on them. Usually they are on their roosts before it gets dark. I have a feeling the activity outside around them caused them to stay out too late and they could not see into the coop. Just a guess. Hope it doesn't become a habit ! On a side note. Seen a fox right across the street. So no freeranging ever for these birds. Hawks galore, dogs, foxes, coons, skunks, eagles at certian times, bears. Yup everybody wants a nice chicken dinner.

Back
Top Bottom