new coop..chickens don't want to use it

wildwestcoast

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2015
Vancouver Island, Canada
Hi all, so I got the new coop/run built and the new girls have arrived. they don't want to go in the coop! the attached run is fairly small and I figured that when dusk approached they would go it as they had nowhere else to go haha. they had gone up the ladder and peered in but that is about it. then they started to panic a bit as it got darker and trying to fly up and against the walls of the run so I figured they were just new and confused. I went in and caught each one and gently placed them in the coop on a roost and shut them in. next night..same thing. only they hid from me under the coop where I couldn't reach them (of course they did) eventually I got them all in there. I let them out this morning and I'm just wondering..will they get with the program? is this normal? do I just keep doing this forever? haha has anyone else gone through this?

How old are they?

Try putting a light in the coop around dusk. A flashlight will work. Wait a bit until it’s darker. Hopefully since they can see inside their scary new coop they will head in and you won’t h e to chase them. You can then lock the door behind them and remove the light. After about a week of this they should get with the program and you will no longer need the light.

How old are they?

Try putting a light in the coop around dusk. A flashlight will work. Wait a bit until it’s darker. Hopefully since they can see inside their scary new coop they will head in and you won’t h e to chase them. You can then lock the door behind them and remove the light. After about a week of this they should get with the program and you will no longer need the light.
I bought POL but I'm guessing on the young side. 17 weeks ish. I'm not expecting eggs any time soon they are not developed enough. great idea about the light. I have a little battery lantern I could put in there to light it up a bit for them.

try putting a light - such as a flash light in there, just before dark. Sometimes that is enough. This is a pretty common problem at first, block off the under part so you are not scrambling to get them (been there).

Sometimes if you put a box on it's side, they will all huddle in the box, making it easy to pick them up and put the box in the coop. Usually a couple of times of waking up in the coop is all you need.coop is all they need to figure it out.

You are not alone. This has happened to others. IF you can, leave them inside the coop 2-3 days. That way they will get familiar with it, and it won't be intimidating. After the 2-3 days, let them into the run. They should return to the coop in the evening on their own unless they're too young, in which case you will have to help them a few nights, or if it's too hot in the coop. There are times in mid summer when the temps are high, that mine will sleep out in the run.

20190511_080937.jpg
this is the setup I have minus the yellow ladder. I have put a ramp in there instead

I lock my chickens in the coop for a few days with a light/food/water to let them know that's home. After that I let them out and usually at night they go in because they've established that as home. I have solar lighting outside the coop because there's always that one who tries to stay out later than the rest and sometimes it still doesn't go in.

If you wait until it's dark, you can grab them and put them in. Usually they won't freak out or fuss because at night they're completely defenseless since they can't see as well. I do this with my younger chicks if they forget to go in and they freak out less or panic less when there's no light.

View attachment 1773969 this is the setup I have minus the yellow ladder. I have put a ramp in there instead
Maybe put a ladder there instead... They might not like how steep the ramp is. Chickens can be quite picky sometimes. I know in the beginning when I first got my coop, my chickens were so picky but we worked out all the kinks after observing them for a few weeks. Now everything is working smoothly. It's all trial and error.

Maybe put a ladder there instead... They might not like how steep the ramp is. Chickens can be quite picky sometimes. I know in the beginning when I first got my coop, my chickens were so picky but we worked out all the kinks after observing them for a few weeks. Now everything is working smoothly. It's all trial and error.
I guess I didn't explain well, what I put in was a ramp but it has wooden pieces screwed to it so it is like a ladder. I took the yellow camper ladder out as it was too big and bulky..I figured the chickens wouldn't be brave enough to hop up the steps and then hop right into the new coop. the ramp shouldn't be too steep, in my other coop I have the same type and it is steeper but my other birds do well with it. I think they are just nervous and new. hopefully they settle in soon :) plus I really don't know what kind of a set up they came from. they are production reds I ordered from the local feed store. they arrived in a crate and he just pulled them out and popped them into crate I brought. they might not be used to a coop at all..or even roosts

Back
Top Bottom