New coop for chickens

Will they still lay eggs or would they stop for the time being locked up? I was concerned that they would stop so I ended up opening up the old coop for the morning so they would still lay their eggs. If they stop would that be bad for them?
Mine continued to lay during lockdown and took to the new nests without my needing to do anything, but results will vary as each flock and set up are different.

If they do stop laying it would be due to the stress from moving and not necessarily being locked in. It shouldn't impact their health and they normally would resume laying after a couple of weeks.

My husband and I turned part of our shed/garage into a new coop for our chickens. We added two nesting boxes, a 46 inch in length roost which is 3 inches wide for them and sand for the floor( all-purpose from homedepot). There's still a little more to do I think, like add a window/more light. There's no window in that area of the shed and the light we do use doesn't light that side up much..We have 5 chickens (leghorns) who are now 3 years old. And have been in a coop from tractor supply since they could be outside. What is the best way to get them use to the new coop. We placed them on the roost last night, which is why they are in it. They don't seem to be a fan of the sand.The coop door leads out to their run which has the old coop still attached. The old coop is closed so they can't get into it.
I have no helpful advice since I am just trying to figure out what to do with mine in the next few months, but just wanted to say that of the four chicks I got from Tractor Supply the little Leghorn has the most personality, is very friendly with me and constantly occupies herself with flying to new heights. She was the first to make it out of the plastic tub I brought them home in and today had I not been right there, she would have escaped the covered giant horse trough they are hanging out in until I get a place built for them. Do Leghorns generally have big personalities or did I just get a determined one? She is also the loudest when a change is made to their surroundings that displeases them. haha

I have no helpful advice since I am just trying to figure out what to do with mine in the next few months, but just wanted to say that of the four chicks I got from Tractor Supply the little Leghorn has the most personality, is very friendly with me and constantly occupies herself with flying to new heights. She was the first to make it out of the plastic tub I brought them home in and today had I not been right there, she would have escaped the covered giant horse trough they are hanging out in until I get a place built for them. Do Leghorns generally have big personalities or did I just get a determined one? She is also the loudest when a change is made to their surroundings that displeases them. haha

I don't know Leghorns, but my California White is a character -- who also flies like a helicopter even as an adult.

Mine are constantly trying to find a way to escape the run lol. From what I've read they can jump up to 6ft, so had to make a few more adjustments to our temporary run for them. Whenever I get home from work I usually have three who have escaped. Luckily my neighbor helps out and puts them back in for us before he goes in for third shift. But they get out again by the time I get home.

Back
Top Bottom