New coop for chickens

MndaG

Chirping
May 15, 2018
NH(USA)
My husband and I turned part of our shed/garage into a new coop for our chickens. We added two nesting boxes, a 46 inch in length roost which is 3 inches wide for them and sand for the floor( all-purpose from homedepot). There's still a little more to do I think, like add a window/more light. There's no window in that area of the shed and the light we do use doesn't light that side up much..We have 5 chickens (leghorns) who are now 3 years old. And have been in a coop from tractor supply since they could be outside. What is the best way to get them use to the new coop. We placed them on the roost last night, which is why they are in it. They don't seem to be a fan of the sand.The coop door leads out to their run which has the old coop still attached. The old coop is closed so they can't get into it.

Attachments

• image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 31
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 30
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 31
That looks nice and roomy for your beautiful ladies.

Don't worry, chickens don't like change. They'll take a while to get used to things but they'll adjust within the next couple weeks. :)

However, it's URGENT to get ventilation in there. 1 square foot per hen is the usual recommendation -- best provided over the chickens' heads when they're sitting on their roost.

While a window is good for light and supplemental ventilation (top hinged is best so you can leave it open when it's raining), the best option for that lovely sloping roof is soffit ventilation -- remove the soffit blocks between the joists on both the low and high sides and replace them with hardware cloth.

That will allow heat, moisture, and ammonia to rise and be carried away without causing any drafts. :)

I would still need ceiling ventilation even if the rest of the shed is open?

Open to the outside air? Or just open to the rest of the shed?

Can you show us photos of the rest of the shed and it's ventilation?

Overhead ventilation is always the best and more is always better. Heat and ammonia both rise and are likely to be trapped in that area with no venting on, at least, the high side of the slope..

Open to the outside air? Or just open to the rest of the shed?

Can you show us photos of the rest of the shed and it's ventilation?

Overhead ventilation is always the best and more is always better. Heat and ammonia both rise and are likely to be trapped in that area with no venting on, at least, the high side of the slope..
My husband just did this for the time being.. got to add hardwire cloth still. But it's open to the rest of the shed. And the shed isn't insulated.

Attachments

• 20210514_082640.jpg
    20210514_082640.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 28
My husband just did this for the time being.. got to add hardwire cloth still. But it's open to the rest of the shed. And the shed isn't insulated.

That's a good start. If the rest of the shed isn't open to the outside air then you will need more ventilation -- 1 square foot per hen is the usual recommendation.

As I said, your shed is perfect for soffit ventilation because the fresh air would enter on the low end and the stale, moist, ammonia-laden air would escape out the top but there would be no wind to ruffle the hens feathers in even the worst storms.

This photo is from an article on cattle barns, but the principle holds.

natural-ventilation.png

P.S. Your Leghorns are beautiful. I have a California White and I love her. :)

T
That's a good start. If the rest of the shed isn't open to the outside air then you will need more ventilation -- 1 square foot per hen is the usual recommendation.

As I said, your shed is perfect for soffit ventilation because the fresh air would enter on the low end and the stale, moist, ammonia-laden air would escape out the top but there would be no wind to ruffle the hens feathers in even the worst storms.

This photo is from an article on cattle barns, but the principle holds.

View attachment 2669111

P.S. Your Leghorns are beautiful. I have a California White and I love her. :)
Thank you, this helps a lot. I'll show this to my husband so we can adjust the coop some more. Thank you, I really enjoy my hens. They are actually very friendly and enjoy to be petted and held. Never thought chickens were like that when we first got them.

Easy way to home them to the new coop, since it looks like you have the space to do so, is to lock them in for 2-3 days. They may still try to return to the old coop after that but will be much more inclined to accept being herded to the new one, and should take to it after a couple more days.

Easy way to home them to the new coop, since it looks like you have the space to do so, is to lock them in for 2-3 days. They may still try to return to the old coop after that but will be much more inclined to accept being herded to the new one, and should take to it after a couple more days.

Will they still lay eggs or would they stop for the time being locked up?

Will they still lay eggs or would they stop for the time being locked up? I was concerned that they would stop so I ended up opening up the old coop for the morning so they would still lay their eggs. If they stop would that be bad for them?

Back
Top Bottom