New coop!! Ideas? Suggestions?

You definitely need a see-through roof because in a enclosed coop chickens don’t get lots of light resulting in drop of egg production
Really depends on climate and location of the coop - in the wrong location, a see through roof can turn a coop into an oven. Also in most cases chickens will spend the majority of the day out in the run or free ranging, so they'll get plenty of ambient light exposure that way.

You definitely need a see-through roof because in a enclosed coop chickens don’t get lots of light resulting in drop of egg production

This is dangerous advice for people not located in extremely cool climates or people whose coops are not located in deep, all-day shade.

Where I live a clear roof would turn the coop into a solar oven that would literally cook the chickens alive.

I also live in Alaska
It really wouldn't help when the days are so short during winter there.
You almost need supplemental lighting in Alaska, just to give them enough daylight to keep fed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1647429623761.png

I started a similar thread a couple of years ago.

Features that have been high value for me are the wide doors for trundling a wheelbarrow through, seating for me, shelving, and loads of space.

Something that wasn't suggested but it has turned out to be beneficial is a range of nest boxes, scattered around. I've got 3 and each one is in a different location. All three are used but not every day. When a hen decides to sit, the others switch to one of the other nests. The only reason to have nests in one tidy place is human convenience; it's my experience that hens have fewer discussions and traffic jams when there are a few nests scattered around.

I started a similar thread a couple of years ago.

Features that have been high value for me are the wide doors for trundling a wheelbarrow through, seating for me, shelving, and loads of space.

Something that wasn't suggested but it has turned out to be beneficial is a range of nest boxes, scattered around. I've got 3 and each one is in a different location. All three are used but not every day. When a hen decides to sit, the others switch to one of the other nests. The only reason to have nests in one tidy place is human convenience; it's my experience that hens have fewer discussions and traffic jams when there are a few nests scattered around.
Here's the thread from a couple of years ago :)

Good luck with your coop building project!
Thanks so much! Good ideas.

Back
Top Bottom