New coop ideas

Plan on at least 4 square feet per bird in the coop. The run should have about 10 square feet per bird. How large of a shed you will need depends on how many birds you want to have. Figure out the most birds you will be getting and multiply by 4. That is the minimum size you will need. If you think you may get even more than that get a larger shed.

Ventilation is very necessary if you want your birds to stay warm and comfortable during the winter. Remember that a dry chicken is a warm chicken. Might seem strange to be venting out warm but moist air to keep the birds comfortable but that is what you will need to do. I have about 10 square feet of ventilation in my coop built for 12 chickens. The vents are never closed and I live in NW Montana. It would be wise to plan on roofing the run. Many chickens don't like to walk on snow. Roofing the run means the chickens can go out all day every day no matter how much snow or rain there is.
Yes! Yes! All of this!
I'm glad to see you were smarter than I was by knowing those prefabs aren't worth a hill of beans. Live n learn, thank you BYC!
You mention ducks. Do you have ducks now? I'm thinking they would need a separate coop because of different lifestyles, specifically lots of wet messy water and mud. I'm not a duck mama so I'm just guessing from bits I've read.

I am a fan of the chicken tractor... mine is 5 by 10 and has to stories and is about 6 feet high at the top so i have about 100 square feet. which houses my 13 full sized laying hens and my 2 banty roosters perfectly. i am planning on building another bigger soon tho.

Yes, I have 4 ducks :)
They will have their own small coop next to the big one for the chickens. :D
I was curious about if I got a big enough shed if I could make a duck area on the opposite side of the chickens but that's just a thought lol.

Yes! Yes! All of this!
I'm glad to see you were smarter than I was by knowing those prefabs aren't worth a hill of beans. Live n learn, thank you BYC!
You mention ducks. Do you have ducks now? I'm thinking they would need a separate coop because of different lifestyles, specifically lots of wet messy water and mud. I'm not a duck mama so I'm just guessing from bits I've read.

Back
Top Bottom