New coop. Let the fun begin!

So your flooring, you didn't attach it to the coop floor at all? Only unrolled it, and tacked it up the walls?
Yeppers, with the bent up edges it's not going anywhere, it's about 3/32" thick so pretty stiff......and it was a bear to get in there on my own, was a bit more than 'just unrolling it' but my space is rather tighter than yours...but it's still hard to move it when you're standing on it haha!.

ETA: I did trim down the upbends on the door thresholds and covered with a stn stl angle.

Last edited:
That looks AWESOME !!
I was going to do that with Lowes but they wanted 4 feet between fence and shed. I don't have that room.
That's what the guy said when he showed up. But he said 3 feet. It's my fence and my pasture. The fence is just the typical cattle fence. I don't know why the big deal about being 3 feet from the fence but that worka for me because I want to be able to walk around and mow around it

That's what the guy said when he showed up. But he said 3 feet. It's my fence and my pasture. The fence is just the typical cattle fence. I don't know why the big deal about being 3 feet from the fence but that worka for me because I want to be able to walk around and mow around it
I just built mine inside the fence to keep critters out. Must be 5 feet or so to the closest fence. But no one here to tell me where to put it.

Did you build that?
It's sweet!!

Those are really cute nest boxes!

Didn't think of adding this before.
Here's my theory on the 'stack up' aspect to coop design:

Bottom of pop door is best about 8" above floor so bedding doesn't get dragged out of coop.

Nice to have bottom of nests about 18" above bedding to allow use of that floor space under them(doesn't count if your nests are mounted on outside of coop).

Roosts are best about 12" higher than nests so birds won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop in them, if you use poop boards under roosts it will also 'stretch' your floor space.

Upper venting works best as high as possible above roosts so no strong drafts hit roosts in winter...and hot/moist air and ammonia can rise and exit coop.

IMG_4943.JPG

Just added a poop board for the roost. It's 30" off floor and roughly 20" wide. Roost bar will be roughly 6" higher. Think one bar across is enough for 20 chickens? I doubt they will all be up there at once.

Back
Top Bottom