New coop. Let the fun begin!

Pics
I put down the Black Jack 57. Two coats. Easy peasy! Hopefully it does it's job. I let it set for roughly 4 days then put pine shavings in the coop about 2" deep. Food. Water. And then added the chicks! I put a light up to give them light during the day and for a little bit at night. Then the heat lamp in the corner. With a plastic tub next to it for them to get in and out of and block some of the draft.

They've been out there for a couple hours and I just checked on them. Some were eating, some were drinking, some were under the lamp. Woo!

Still have to make the roosts and nest boxes. I'm also going to add a couple windows at some point for more daylight. But for now I put up some chicken wire across the doors So I can leave them open during the day for light.

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

I put down the Black Jack 57. Two coats. Easy peasy! Hopefully it does it's job. I let it set for roughly 4 days then put pine shavings in the coop about 2" deep. Food. Water. And then added the chicks!

It looks great! It takes time to get it just like you want it and see what works and what doesn't. I'm still making changes and improvements.

I patched up and re-used a sturdy old lopsided coop that's probably going on 60 to 80 years old. Attaching a quick sketch of the setup I have and things I'm planning to add. The 2 windows are hinged on top and hang over the window opening. I had them inside, but am painting them and going to move them to the outside so they can be open even if it's raining. I built a new door that has a big screened area for ventilation -- I added a hinged drop down door that covers the opening if needed. I cut some vent holes on upper walls at opposite end, but still want to add a few - all covered with hardware cloth and window screen.

Attachments

• CrookedChicken Coop.jpg
    CrookedChicken Coop.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 8
  • coop door.jpg
    coop door.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom