New Coop, Need advise about coon-proofing!

expensive, but if you love your chickens it's *worth every penny*

I am also in the City, so the coop needs to be attractive to keep the neighbors happy. We chose to bury 18 inches of hardware wire all the way around the run. It wasn't that bad.

My DH grumbled and growled at the expense of the hardware wire, but our coop has been in commission for well over a year now and we haven't had any issues. I did have one critter actually dig under the 18 inches of hardware wire and come up in the run -- never did figure out what it was -- I'm guessing a mole or a chipmunk. I covered up the hole and they haven't returned -- maybe they made a wrong u-turn somewhere....

IMG_3014.jpg

CityChook, you said you used hardware cloth on the botton and the top had chicken wire? How has that worked? Our coops are close to the same size (8x8x6). How far up the sides is the hardware wire and do you think if I covered the top of my coop with chicken wire they would be fine with hardware cloth everywhere eles? I love your coop design.

I was looking for that thread that showed the way a raccoon ripped the hardware cloth right off the side of the building, and found this one instead.

Quote:
This is the link to the entire thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=209766&p=1 the original post was by jupitergirl who is an animal control person and said that this was a trap that started out in nearly new condition before the coon tore it apart.

When someone suggested that the trap must have been old or defective, this was her reply.

Quote:
I think people have alerted you, and you should just do the best you can, no matter what it is. It's been suggested that I don't care about my chickens because I let them roam and free range all day long, (been doing so for nearly 40 years now so I must be really horrible! (joke!!!!)) and there have been suggestions that if you don't feed them this or that that you are not a good owner, etc etc. None of that is true IMO! We all do what we think is best, or the best we can, or what works for us.

Do what you can for now, and beef up the wire with hardware cloth one roll at a time whenever you can if you want to, or however it works for you. Maybe start at the bottom and get the security tightened up one row at a time. Yes, something bad could happen, but something bad can always happen.

I know this may be contradictory, I'm showing you drastic pictures of how strong raccoons are on one hand, and then saying go ahead with the chicken wire.... well, sometimes you make a choice and go with it.

We all get carried away sometimes with trying to prove our points... myself included. I'm saying "Do the best you can with what you can and move on!" Don't forget Patandchickens favorite ending either! Have Fun!
wink.png

//edit// I think your coop is going to be great! It looks like your master carpenter is doing a fantastic job
smile.png
and your chooks will love it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom