Understood, I am openly posting here looking for improvements because I am trying to do this the RIGHT way and not be another crappy coop design company. If I was trying to mislead or "fool" people, I wouldnt have posted here to begin with.

Think about it...me putting myself out here is actually MORE risky so I think that should say something about my ethics. I am 100% taking into account everything everyone is saying, its just that I am putting myself out here for feedback and I feel like I am being accused of being misleading...which is the exact opposite of what I was trying to accomplish in the first place. I thought everyone on here was supposed to be a community. Keep in mind I am not some coop "company". I'm an individual with a passion, and put alot of time and effort into these coops and accompanying website with the goal of producing useful coop plans for newbies. Point is, I am a normal individual, just like yourself.

I feel like alot of replies are coming at me like I am some big company trying to mislead people...which, again, is the complete opposite of who I am and the exact opposite of what I am trying to accomplish with my designs and website. Yes, they are paid plans, but I love this hobby (or however else you might classify it) and am trying to contribute positively. I was looking for constructive comments with an upbeat tone...did not expect the "US vs You" mentality that many of these replies seem to have. Please consider my viewpoint and the fact that I am not some company when responding.

All that being said, I am going to look into making improvements on the vents for every coop and will 100% update the capacity numbers within the next couple of days. The website is live but not out for the world yet - I came here first for a "soft launch" because I am looking for good feedback. Apologies for the long reply, I just think that if some of you who responded understood more who I am, you might still have the same comments but with a more understanding tone. In the end, we're all supposed to be on here to help each other out. I took a shot at producing great plans for newbies, which I think I deserve at least some credit for because I don't see many others on here genuinely trying to accomplish. I DO care about the quality of the plans and I DO care about the health of your flock. If I didn't, I would never have posted on this forum to begin with. My goal/dream is to have the #1 chicken coop plan site on the internet. I might have a long way to go, but i can assure you my intent and attempt are 100% genuine. We dont all get it exactly right the first time around...
A talent for design is not an every day talent. Run with your skills with what has been suggested and you will stand alone in the Coop Plan arena with plans that truly suit the needs of your prospective clients. :thumbsup

Thanks for the feedback. To address your comments -

1 - I did do my research, as I have built many coops myself. The rule of thumb is 2-3 sq feet per bird. So if the coop has 32 sq ft, technically it can be up to 16 birds, which I agree would be tight. I do put different number parameters, ie 4-14, etc., and never maxed out the number it can hold. It really depends on the breed of chicken, as many are different sizes. That is also why I give the sq feet and base dimensions, so you can decide for yourself how many chickens you want to house in that particular coop. The numbers I gave are general guidelines, again going by the rule of thumb (which btw can be found all over this forum and many other resources).

2- As for roosts, the plans do have roost instructions which provide a guide on roost sizes, materials, and placement. I do not point out exactly where to place roosts because, in my experience, the owner/builder usually likes to place these on their own based on their needs and preferences.

3 - These plans are in no way renditions of cheap prefab coops. Honestly, I think your comment was a bit harsh, especially you suggesting that people will be "fooled." I wholeheartedly disagree with that comment and do not appreciate it. I am not trying to "fool" anyone. In fact, I try to be as transparent as possible about each coop, providing dimensions, sq footage, and even 3D video renderings so you can literally see the inside of the coop and how its built. I may be "newer" on the forum, but am very experienced in raising chickens and have built multiple coops myself. These plans will produce coops that are MULTIPLES better than any prefab coop; both in materials used and quality of the structure and how it is built. They were actually designed by a professional architect who used my own hand-drawings/designs to produce easy step-by-step instructions. They are geared for the DIY builder and for both novice and experienced chicken farmers.

Maybe these plans seem small for your needs, but a coop that is 8x4 or 10x6 is not "small" and will have appeal for many people who might not necessarily be super chicken farmers but want to keep a small to medium size flock in their backyard. I think much of what you said failed to recognize that people have many different needs. Eventually I would love to cater to people who want super-size coops but for now, this is where I am starting because this is what I currently know best.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,
Maria

2-3 sq ft per chicken is not the number I see posted often here. 4sq ft in the coop and 10 in the run is what is commonly posted as a MINIMUM

And 8x4 or 6x10 is a pretty small coop.

@aart is right. You are misleading people using 2-3 sq ft per bird.

Gary

In the interest of newbies and their chickens, I think it would be better to be as specific as possible and state the square footage of coop and run and also say how many large fowl it fits max and how many bantams max.
I was actually thinking about adding the "depending on breed size"...I think that is a good add.

Here is a question back to those of you who are very experienced - lets assume the coop itself is 4x8, making it 32 sq feet. It also has a built in run that is 12x6 (72 sq feet). What would the proper chicken math be? Would 4-6 avg size chickens be a fair estimate?

A talent for design is not an every day talent. Run with your skills with what has been suggested and you will stand alone in the Coop Plan arena with plans that truly suit the needs of your prospective clients. :thumbsup
I appreciate that. These comments, albeit some of them "hard", are very very helpful. Life isnt always sugar coated though, back to the drawing board to re-work a few of the details which will hopefully make my plans stand out above the rest!

I was actually thinking about adding the "depending on breed size"...I think that is a good add.

Here is a question back to those of you who are very experienced - lets assume the coop itself is 4x8, making it 32 sq feet. It also has a built in run that is 12x6 (72 sq feet). What would the proper chicken math be? Would 4-6 avg size chickens be a fair estimate?
Yes, that would be a good estimate.

I appreciate that. These comments, albeit some of them "hard", are very very helpful. Life isnt always sugar coated though, back to the drawing board to re-work a few of the details which will hopefully make my plans stand out above the rest!
Just make them bigger. Rule of twos... twice as big, twice as much ventilation, it will cost twice as much and take twice as long. BIGGER IS BETTER

Gary

Just make them bigger. Rule of twos... twice as big, twice as much ventilation, it will cost twice as much and take twice as long. BIGGER IS BETTER

Gary
Seriously, brilliant idea. I can simply double all of my current measurements. I can even keep the current models but have those all under small models, and use the doubled up versions as the medium designs. Everything will be twice as big(vents, etc) and twice as good!

I like your site and your plans. For concerns with space, I add a fenced in area if I want the chickens to have more room. Let me explain. Last year winter came quick and hard one day. I was in a panic over my chickens. It was my first little flock and I was very worried. I went to tsc and bought a coop. That coop was not large enough imo for my birds so I put it in a fenced area. I closed it at night to keep the chickens warm and opened the door each morning. Of course, I know now that they aren't go escape the roost in the middle of the night and freeze to death. As long as they have enough room to roost and lay eggs, the run can always be expanded. Most people don't follow any plan for anything exactly because we all have our own little ideas or ways of doing things. I think your plans are a good way to get someone started and they can adjust as they feel necessary. :)

I like your site and your plans. For concerns with space, I add a fenced in area if I want the chickens to have more room. Let me explain. Last year winter came quick and hard one day. I was in a panic over my chickens. It was my first little flock and I was very worried. I went to tsc and bought a coop. That coop was not large enough imo for my birds so I put it in a fenced area. I closed it at night to keep the chickens warm and opened the door each morning. Of course, I know now that they aren't go escape the roost in the middle of the night and freeze to death. As long as they have enough room to roost and lay eggs, the run can always be expanded. Most people don't follow any plan for anything exactly because we all have our own little ideas or ways of doing things. I think your plans are a good way to get someone started and they can adjust as they feel necessary. :)
Much appreciated feedback!

Back
Top Bottom