Pics

nychick83

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2017
Hi everyone! Many of you have responded to my previous posts regarding my chicken coop plans. Your feedback/comments have been instrumental in the development of these plans...thank you SO much! They are officially ready to be released to the world (finally).

I currently have 5 small coop designs, 4 medium/large coop designs, and 3 chicken run designs. I'd love to get some feedback on the website itself. I put alot of time into the videos and layout, so any comments would be much appreciated! I am not trying to sell anyone here...as mentioned, this entire community has been amazing and a crucial part of the process, from helping me with pricing to even to picking some of the coop names. That being said, if you are in the market for coop plans, I'd like to return the favor and have made a special discount code for 50% off that is ONLY being posted here for forum members. Either way, any replies about the site/video/content would be appreciated. Constructive criticism is welcome, please just don't be too harsh as I have put alot of time and effort into making these plans simple and aimed for the DIY/backyard builder, which most of us on here are. Details:

50% coupon: backyardchickens50

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies!

Best,
Maria

Website graphics are cute and slick, but anyone who knows better will not be fooled by the inadequate design for functionality. People who don't know any better will be mislead and heartbroken that 32sqft will not hold 14 birds in a healthful way. The plans might be great for novice DIY builders, but if the product they end up with is not good for their birds...that's just not cool IMO.

These coops are sorely lacking in space, reminiscent of the prefab coops that are too small and poorly designed. Sizes and population numbers are as misleading and inadequate for good chicken health as most prefab coops.

I see by your past posts here you did some of 'market' research about what people would be willing pay for plans and names for your 'products', but no design research about floor space, roost length, and nest numbers for chicken populations and it shows in your coops. I didn't even see a roost in the few I looked at. SMH.

@aart ...thank you for responding with a knowledgeable response.

When I decided to rescue my flock of 4 girls and a boy I didn't know a thing about chickens. I built a coop from a picture of a plan on line...up to 10 bird capacity it said. I thought, well that's good...extra space. Then I became a member here at BYC... Boy did I learn a boatload of stuff! I soooooo wish I would of found this site BEFORE I built my coop. I only now know that my coop is inadequate for my birds. I helped them a bit with the 10' x 10' run addition until the weather turns nice in the spring to give them appropriate housing.

My point is....there are people like me out there that know nothing about healthy chicken coops and take what we find online as a "helpful" resource. I was an unknowing consumer....and my new feathered friends have to live with my poor decisions until I make it right.

To anyone out there just getting into this crazy life of chickens...please read and observe what the "veterans" of this site say and do BEFORE doing anything. Your feathered friends will thank you.

Website graphics are cute and slick, but anyone who knows better will not be fooled by the inadequate design for functionality. People who don't know any better will be mislead and heartbroken that 32sqft will not hold 14 birds in a healthful way. The plans might be great for novice DIY builders, but if the product they end up with is not good for their birds...that's just not cool IMO.

These coops are sorely lacking in space, reminiscent of the prefab coops that are too small and poorly designed. Sizes and population numbers are as misleading and inadequate for good chicken health as most prefab coops.

I see by your past posts here you did some of 'market' research about what people would be willing pay for plans and names for your 'products', but no design research about floor space, roost length, and nest numbers for chicken populations and it shows in your coops. I didn't even see a roost in the few I looked at. SMH.

Thanks for the feedback. To address your comments -

1 - I did do my research, as I have built many coops myself. The rule of thumb is 2-3 sq feet per bird. So if the coop has 32 sq ft, technically it can be up to 16 birds, which I agree would be tight. I do put different number parameters, ie 4-14, etc., and never maxed out the number it can hold. It really depends on the breed of chicken, as many are different sizes. That is also why I give the sq feet and base dimensions, so you can decide for yourself how many chickens you want to house in that particular coop. The numbers I gave are general guidelines, again going by the rule of thumb (which btw can be found all over this forum and many other resources).

2- As for roosts, the plans do have roost instructions which provide a guide on roost sizes, materials, and placement. I do not point out exactly where to place roosts because, in my experience, the owner/builder usually likes to place these on their own based on their needs and preferences.

3 - These plans are in no way renditions of cheap prefab coops. Honestly, I think your comment was a bit harsh, especially you suggesting that people will be "fooled." I wholeheartedly disagree with that comment and do not appreciate it. I am not trying to "fool" anyone. In fact, I try to be as transparent as possible about each coop, providing dimensions, sq footage, and even 3D video renderings so you can literally see the inside of the coop and how its built. I may be "newer" on the forum, but am very experienced in raising chickens and have built multiple coops myself. These plans will produce coops that are MULTIPLES better than any prefab coop; both in materials used and quality of the structure and how it is built. They were actually designed by a professional architect who used my own hand-drawings/designs to produce easy step-by-step instructions. They are geared for the DIY builder and for both novice and experienced chicken farmers.

Maybe these plans seem small for your needs, but a coop that is 8x4 or 10x6 is not "small" and will have appeal for many people who might not necessarily be super chicken farmers but want to keep a small to medium size flock in their backyard. I think much of what you said failed to recognize that people have many different needs. Eventually I would love to cater to people who want super-size coops but for now, this is where I am starting because this is what I currently know best.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,
Maria

Last edited:
Sorry. Looks like you put a lot of time into this, yet an other example marketing to the uneducated "would be" flock owner. Coops are seriously lacking in space and ventilation. As aart pointed out, where are the roosts? Windows are seriously lacking. Lack of vertical space would make it impossible to have enough bedding in those coops to even make a reasonable attempt at meeting even that basic necessity.

The basic small coops are 4 x 3, and claim to house 4 - 12 birds.

A larger model: the "Poultry Palace" is a slick example of poor design and even poorer understanding of the needs of a flock. It claims to house 4 - 18 birds.

"It’s signature feature boasts 12 individual removable nesting boxes, all of which are accessible from the outside by a secured door. With so many spots to choose from, your hens will never have to stress over a cozy place to lay…leading to more eggs for you!"

Those nest boxes are 9 3/4" x 15".
Foot print in this coop is 3 x 8, a tight squeeze for 6 birds given that it is only 3' wide. Now, what are 6 birds going to do with 12 nest boxes? Not a perch in sight. Run space is 8 x 12.

I would suggest that time would be better spent designing a functional coop that will provide adequate space, ventilation, head room, and perches.

I would agree with aart. Looks good, easy to navigate. Reasonable prices. But I would be honest about bird capacity. 4 sq. Ft. Per bird is a minimum and they really like to have a roost that is higher than nest boxes, etc. I wouldn't put more than two or three in your small designs. Those are about the size of my hospital/isolation pin.

For some people in urban settings those might be good. If someone is going to aim for 10 or more birds. Bigger is better, cause chicken math.

If you are open to additional designs. Consider some larger, well ventilated plans.

I would agree that bird capacity is way over estimated on all coops I saw
Thank you. I went by 2-3 sq ft per bird for chicken math (do you not all agree with this?), which is what I used for all of these coops. I appreciate the comments, everyone seems to be dwelling on the chicken numbers. I do have ranges, typically going from 4 birds to X numbers, which varies based on breed. I was reaching out to get some feedback/constructive criticism but not looking to get ganged up on. These are all DIY plans - if you want to cut extra vents or add extra windows because that is what you think is best, its all possible. As for the numbers, I will certainly consider lowering the second higher range numbers.

Back
Top Bottom