Hi nychick83, I just noticed you made some updates to your site. I hope it's still an ongoing process and your numbers aren't finalized yet.

This coop with a 16 sqft run (4' x 4') is very tiny and IMHO should not be recommended for "up to 4 chickens" even bantams.
http://buildacoop.com/product/mini-coop/

I don't own bantams but aart has never steered me wrong on any topic:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eedback-on-this-tractor.972458/#post-15150882

I also hope you will add info on how many large fowl max and how many bantams max.
I haven't looked at the other coop updates and apologies if I've jumped the gun here while you're still in the editing process. Also thanks for taking our comments into consideration!

Hi nychick83, I just noticed you made some updates to your site. I hope it's still an ongoing process and your numbers aren't finalized yet.

This coop with a 16 sqft run (4' x 4') is very tiny and IMHO should not be recommended for "up to 4 chickens" even bantams.
http://buildacoop.com/product/mini-coop/

I don't own bantams but aart has never steered me wrong on any topic:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eedback-on-this-tractor.972458/#post-15150882

I also hope you will add info on how many large fowl max and how many bantams max.
I haven't looked at the other coop updates and apologies if I've jumped the gun here while you're still in the editing process. Also thanks for taking our comments into consideration!
Thanks for your reply! Yes I have made lots of updates and added a ton of free info on Chicken Math and other important topics. I have been working hard over the last 2 and a half weeks to introduce these improvements. I'll take another look at the Mini Coop specs for sure, thank you. One small comment on that - I said up to 4 chickens because if you go by 4 sq ft per bird, the coop is 16 sq ft and the run is another 16 sq ft...so even using the coop alone, 16/4 = 4 (again depends on the breed) but I hear ya and will take another look when I have the chance.

For now, I wanted to at LEAST get things straightened out by updating everything for the 4 sq ft/chicken rule (I also took aart's and other previous commentators remarks into consideration and added the language "based on breed size" for more clarification). As far as updating the numbers for large/small fowl, that will be a version 2.0 update in the future for sure, I just have other things on the list.

Overall thank you so much again for the comments! I am working on 2 new large coop designs that literally take into account ALL comments from some of the veterans on this post, and I plan on showing you guys some sketches so that I can get your comments before finalizing the design. I think I might name it the "Ultimate Coop" because I want it to be the best combination everyone's experience in building coops!

Best,
Maria

One small comment on that - I said up to 4 chickens because if you go by 4 sq ft per bird, the coop is 16 sq ft and the run is another 16 sq ft...so even using the coop alone, 16/4 = 4 (again depends on the breed) but I hear ya and will take another look when I have the chance.
Hi nychick83! Thank you for listening to us, I really appreciate it!
From searching here, I see 5 sq ft of run per bantam recommended as a minimum so a 16 sq ft run should be 3 bantams max. So on the "mini" it's the run size that limits it.
Thank you again for the revisions and all the best to you and your website!

Last edited:
For now, I wanted to at LEAST get things straightened out by updating everything for the 4 sq ft/chicken rule (I also took aart's and other previous commentators remarks into consideration and added the language "based on breed size" for more clarification). As far as updating the numbers for large/small fowl, that will be a version 2.0 update in the future for sure, I just have other things on the list.
I understand and know you have a lot on your plate with all of this but I would still suggest that specifying the large/bantam information is most crucial and merits inclusion from the start.

Those coops look amazing, great job! I'm glad you followed the great advice here. You gave them a good amount of space.

Ok all - I have sketched up a larger coop. See the attached pic. This is a basic floor plan and layout of the nest boxes, door, main vents. I went with an 8x10 ft size. I plan on locking down the main design, then making it adaptable to larger sizes. The "optional slide doors" are exactly that - optional. I put them in two locations so that, based on where you put the coop, you can use the slide door that fits best (or not use it at all). I also will design an optional run that can fit on either side of the coop and work with either slide door location.

I designed community nest boxes - 2 ft wide x 1.5 ft deep by 1 ft tall on the short end and about 1.5ft tall at the highest point. With 80sq feet of floor space, if you go 4 sq ft per bird, that is a MAX of 20 birds, and if you alot 1 regular nest box (about 1 ft wide) per 4 hens, that is 20 hens/4 = 5 regular nest boxes. These are community boxes that equate to 6 regular size nest boxes. So I think it is plenty.

I also included an area to separate and use as a built in brood box, as well as a raised storage shelf that will have enclosed access (I raised it so you dont loose floor space and you can even hang a feeder or water from the underside of the shelf). Lastly, there are two windows included.

Please take a look at the pic. As aart suggested, I am coming here for advice on revisions before going further with the design. Here is what I would love some help with:

1 - general design comments
2 - storage shelf/brooder box, good ideas or not?
3 - nest box comments (I plan on making them about 20 inches off the floor, this ok?)
4 - roost placement
5 - vents; I probably need more?
6 - is the size ok? I was thinking 8x10 and 8x16 as the second version, thoughts?
7 -I was thinking about putting the door next to the nest boxes, on the same wall. So the long side would basically be the "front" of the coop. thoughts?
8 - general usage comments

Feel free to pick out any/all of the above to comment on, I labeled it to keep the conversation easy. Also feel free to add anything I may have overlooked.

Thanks so much all!!!
-Maria

image1.jpeg

Last edited:
I think this will be a great step up coop for the serious backyarder who wants to go bigger. There is room in there to divide it in half even for the hobby breeder. Lots of flexibility.
Thoughts:
How wide is the human door? Looks like 36"? Likely it could be narrower than that, possibly with a slightly wider brooder area. Brooder at floor level? Easily removable front panel would be nice when no brooder is needed, as would a design for an easy to deploy wire floor to convert to a broody breaker.
Will you suggest roosts above the brooder? There would be room for some. One alternative you could present for that space is an enclosed feed storage area, I think it would hold a full-size garbage can but you'd have to measure a few.
I like the idea of a cabinet for storage, would it go all the way up? Electric outlets inside maybe for heated waterer hung below to access? With a rv style plug outside to power the coop.
More windows is never a bad thing.
All doors would be best mounted 6" or so above the floor level to allow deep bedding without spillage.
Removable half walls in nest boxes would be nice.
A 16' version especially might benefit from the human door on the long side as that length could allow for further division into breeder pens, ideally with an aisle down the long side to access them from inside.

Feel free to pick out any/all of the above to comment on, I labeled it to keep the conversation easy. Also feel free to add anything I may have overlooked.
Is that drawn to scale? Looks pretty close. I suggest using graph paper.

More height dimensions would be good on drawing. Walls would ideally be 8' to accommodate standard sheathing, reduce building waste, and provide max. human headroom.

Soffit venting good, add roof overhangs of 12-18" all the way around.

I would not add storage or brooder space, let the customer figure that out.

Agrees with Ruralhideaway on removable dividers in nests,
and door thresholds, and more windows.

Nests only need to be 14" deep, I like nests at 14D x 14W x 16H.

I assume 'slide doors' are pop doors for chicken egress?
Lose slide door #1 and put 2 roosts there,
think you have the stats on roosts,
ya gotta show the roosts as they are an important space consideration,
tho 10' long roosts details could be tricky as lumber is usually 8'.

Don't be afraid to try several different layouts.
Drawing your base building on a sheet then using tracing paper over that to try different layouts will save you time and erasers.

Think about keeping essentials; doors, nests, roosts to one end/side leaving open space that can be utilized by customer for feed/water/storage/enclosures.
There are so many variables there it would be hard to meet everyone's needs/wants.

Make sure your plan view and elevations match.
Labels of front, back, left, right on all views will make drawings easier to read.

That's all I got for now.

I think this will be a great step up coop for the serious backyarder who wants to go bigger. There is room in there to divide it in half even for the hobby breeder. Lots of flexibility.
Thoughts:
How wide is the human door? Looks like 36"? Likely it could be narrower than that, possibly with a slightly wider brooder area. Brooder at floor level? Easily removable front panel would be nice when no brooder is needed, as would a design for an easy to deploy wire floor to convert to a broody breaker.
Will you suggest roosts above the brooder? There would be room for some. One alternative you could present for that space is an enclosed feed storage area, I think it would hold a full-size garbage can but you'd have to measure a few.
I like the idea of a cabinet for storage, would it go all the way up? Electric outlets inside maybe for heated waterer hung below to access? With a rv style plug outside to power the coop.
More windows is never a bad thing.
All doors would be best mounted 6" or so above the floor level to allow deep bedding without spillage.
Removable half walls in nest boxes would be nice.
A 16' version especially might benefit from the human door on the long side as that length could allow for further division into breeder pens, ideally with an aisle down the long side to access them from inside.
Thank you Rural!!

I definitely will consider all. Raising the door was already in my plan, just didnt properly show it, but that is a must to keep bedding in order.

Is that drawn to scale? Looks pretty close. I suggest using graph paper.

More height dimensions would be good on drawing. Walls would ideally be 8' to accommodate standard sheathing, reduce building waste, and provide max. human headroom.

Soffit venting good, add roof overhangs of 12-18" all the way around.

I would not add storage or brooder space, let the customer figure that out.

Agrees with Ruralhideaway on removable dividers in nests,
and door thresholds, and more windows.

Nests only need to be 14" deep, I like nests at 14D x 14W x 16H.

I assume 'slide doors' are pop doors for chicken egress?
Lose slide door #1 and put 2 roosts there,
think you have the stats on roosts,
ya gotta show the roosts as they are an important space consideration,
tho 10' long roosts details could be tricky as lumber is usually 8'.

Don't be afraid to try several different layouts.
Drawing your base building on a sheet then using tracing paper over that to try different layouts will save you time and erasers.

Think about keeping essentials; doors, nests, roosts to one end/side leaving open space that can be utilized by customer for feed/water/storage/enclosures.
There are so many variables there it would be hard to meet everyone's needs/wants.

Make sure your plan view and elevations match.
Labels of front, back, left, right on all views will make drawings easier to read.

That's all I got for now.

Thank you aart! All of those are very helpful. I will make sure soffits are at least 12" and will put in an additional window. A few additional questions:

- Do you think I should just make the coop floor 8x8 instead of 8x10 so that it aligns better with material dimensions (lumber/plywood)?

- Nest boxes 18-20 inches up from the floor - is this a good height?

- Roosts: I am trying some different configurations. But the one I was leaning towards was making 3 roosts out of 2x4 (wide side up) that run across the coop from the nest box wall to the opposite wall. See graphic below, the blue lines are the roosts. I was thinking about placing them 40 inches off the floor (which puts them about 6 inches above the top of the nest boxes). I would space them 16 inches apart, starting off the back wall. This gives 288 inches of total roost. By starting them from the back wall, they will span up towards the front of the nesting boxes. This gives the customer 5 feet (3 feet if I make the floor 8x8 instead of 8x10) of total open area at the front of the coop where they can place feeders/water for easy access. Thoughts?
rst.jpg

Back
Top Bottom