New Coop Question

ThaJuicyJuice

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
Miami
I am getting ready to build my first coop and am wondering what the proper ventilation would be for a 4ft X 2 1/2ft X 3ft coop would be?

I believe it is 1 sq ft per chicken and if your square floor footage is 4x2.5=10 then you should have only 2 chickens so 2 sqare feet of elevated ventilation. If it is 4x3=12 then you can have 3 chickens and you need 3 sqare feet of ventilation. If you read "pat and chickens" ventilation page it might help you.

Quote:
Proper is relative.

However I notice your username thingie says you are in Miami? Proper ventilation for Miami is as much as you can *possibly* provide without the chickens actually drowning in a rainstorm or getting blown entirely outta the coop during a hurricane
tongue.png

Seriously, I would be thinking not so much in terms of a leetle doghouse style henhouse as much as roofing as much as possible of your run (for shade, and for blown-rain protection) and then just giving them a sheltered-on-3-sides nook around the roost. Obviously this sort of hot-climate coop needs to be pretty predatorproof since there really is no henhouse per se, the RUN is what's keeping predators out; but you will have way less problems with heat and so forth.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom