New coop run - currently yard grass - what should we do ?

It's a nice looking coop, and I'm sure it seems quite roomy to you. However, 42x42 is just over 12sf, and the three sections of run, at 36x32 each, total 24sf. Chickens need a minimum of 4sf in the coop, plus 10sf in the run, per chicken. As is, your setup is barely adequate for three chickens, and that's only if they get lots of free range time. You said you plan to free range them when you're home? Do you work typical 8-5 jobs? Get home around six? It gets dark around 9 or so, which is when the chickens will naturally put themselves to bed. Which means they will get barely three hours per day of free range time. I would recommend either only getting 3 chickens, or getting another coop and more run sections.

We just had new coop put in and babies will go in a few months from now. What should we do for the run after the chickens dig up all the grass? We are in FL. Hot and humid. So sand is natural dirt. Thinking of adding mulch or just crushed up river rock? Or sand? Not wanting to do deep litter method. Any thoughts are appreciated. Will be letting them free range in yard sometimes.

Good Luck! Your coop looks nice! I'm a novice with 17 chickens (aged 12 weeks, including 5 males) that are in a 10'x6' coop - they have gobs and gobs of room in there, and in or out of the coop, they stick around each other, pile on top of each other at times...so they have way more room than they actually use.

Your coop dimensions may not be "textbook perfect" according to some, but for 5 chickens this looks roomy enough for sleeping and laying. You have 3 panels for the run (plus the space under the coop), and for 5 chickens it is also going to be ok, especially with some free range time. You could also add something to break up the line of sight of the chickens, so they can get "away" from one another if needed (an overturned large flower pot, for example) and provides another place to hang out. Of course, you could have a bully in your flock, and irregardless of space, a bully will be a bully, and you'll have to deal with that.

floor of the run: chickens like to scratch, so dirt or sand or straw or deep litter are all great. Plenty of people love sand as a run medium with the main problem often sited being in cold weather when it freezes. In addition, if the run is in a wet/soggy or flooded in heavy rains area of the yard, that could cause problems with sand too. But you didn't mention wet/soggy/flooding so guessing that is not an issue. But, everyone is right about the fact that whatever you use in the run, the chickens will turn over for you like the little roto-tillers that they are.

Good Luck with your Chickens!

I'm a novice with 17 chickens (aged 12 weeks, including 5 males) that are in a 10'x6' coop - they have gobs and gobs of room in there,
They're still babies, about half sized...and once you've been thru a winter, you may be thinking about more space too-even if you get rid of all the boys.

It’s not small it’s big enough for 8 chickens

You can look up JB COOPS & KENNELS on Facebook, we have medium sized coop with 3 panels run.

The run is 3 sections of 36x32x44.
Your coop barely handles 3. The run only handles 2. I know you came here for advice from experienced members. I had to rethink my flocks areas once I came here. So glad I did. Please consider the advice of the experts here. Just start building onto your coop. If you are free ranging you might be good just starting there.

Chickens don't read codes. Just be prepared to deal with behavior problems. You might need to rehome somebody(s) down the line.
Oh I just went outside this morning and measured it the run alone (not even w space under coop) is 13 feet long by 5 feet wide. So that’s plenty of room! Didn’t you say yours was only 10 feet long?

It's a nice looking coop, and I'm sure it seems quite roomy to you. However, 42x42 is just over 12sf, and the three sections of run, at 36x32 each, total 24sf. Chickens need a minimum of 4sf in the coop, plus 10sf in the run, per chicken. As is, your setup is barely adequate for three chickens, and that's only if they get lots of free range time. You said you plan to free range them when you're home? Do you work typical 8-5 jobs? Get home around six? It gets dark around 9 or so, which is when the chickens will naturally put themselves to bed. Which means they will get barely three hours per day of free range time. I would recommend either only getting 3 chickens, or getting another coop and more run sections.
The run is 13 feet long by 5 feet wide and extra space under coop enclosed. Actually we are double what our city requires and we are just at the limit of what we are allowed.

They're still babies, about half sized...and once you've been thru a winter, you may be thinking about more space too-even if you get rid of all the boys.
We are in FL and our winter doesn’t have many cold days and none below 30 maybe once a month at night for a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom