New coop run - currently yard grass - what should we do ?

Minimum recommendation for back yard flock is 4 s.f. in coop per chicken, and 10 s.f. in run per chicken. Ventilation in coop: 1 s.f. per chicken or 10% of floor space, which ever is greater. If you have your birds crowded any tighter than that, your flock will be prone to behavior problems that can range from feather picking to blood shed and cannibalism. Also, chickens that are crowded are much more prone to disease, internal, and external parasites.

Deep litter is by far the least amount of work. IMO, it provided the healthiest environment for the birds: Studies show that chickens who have access to deep litter have: improved viability, decreased disease, improved feed conversion rates. Deep litter does not need to be turned by the flock owner. The chickens take care of that. If you are in snake country, you will have snakes no matter what type of substrate you provide for your coop/run. The best way to prevent snake issues is to use 1/2" hdw. cloth for coop and run.

Last edited:
I think, especially since you're in FL and your chickens will only be spending time in the coop to roost or lay eggs, you'll probably be fine with the size. A little larger would be better of course, but I think you'll be fine.

Once the grass is all gone in the run, any grass clippings, leaves, pulled weeds, etc. will be fine. I would not put crushed gravel/rock in it.

Just a couple of suggestions---I see the run is covered with wire---I would cover it with something solid over that. Poly panels, galvanized roofing, or even a tarp. You don't want the run turning into a mud pit. It looks like the roof is just wood, but I can't tell for sure. I'd put tar paper and shingles or galvanized roofing over that, too.

I saw where you had asked in an earlier thread when to put the chicks out there. In your climate and at this time of year, I'd probably put them out at 3 to 4 weeks without heat. They'll be fine.

Yes we do have the hardware cloth. Ours is medium sized coop with 3 medium run sections. See photo it has dimensions. They will have lots of room! The coop looks bigger in person.

45x45x60

Attachments

• 9FFEBD21-5CF2-449B-93FE-9435A604E141.png
    9FFEBD21-5CF2-449B-93FE-9435A604E141.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
Yes we do have the hardware cloth. Ours is medium sized coop with 3 medium run sections. See photo it has dimensions. They will have lots of room! The coop looks bigger in person.
That isn't lots of room. I have 5 in a 4x7 coop and 8x10 run in a warm weather climate and honestly it's just barely enough room.

It’s a little bigger than the photo dimensions. It’s excellent quality they think of everything! Tar papered in under eggboxes and roof - we are adding shingles. We will eventually paint. Trusses on roof. Stable underneath w support beams . My ex husband was a framer and this is very well built! I’m impressed!

I think, especially since you're in FL and your chickens will only be spending time in the coop to roost or lay eggs, you'll probably be fine with the size. A little larger would be better of course, but I think you'll be fine.

Once the grass is all gone in the run, any grass clippings, leaves, pulled weeds, etc. will be fine. I would not put crushed gravel/rock in it.

Just a couple of suggestions---I see the run is covered with wire---I would cover it with something solid over that. Poly panels, galvanized roofing, or even a tarp. You don't want the run turning into a mud pit. It looks like the roof is just wood, but I can't tell for sure. I'd put tar paper and shingles or galvanized roofing over that, too.

I saw where you had asked in an earlier thread when to put the chicks out there. In your climate and at this time of year, I'd probably put them out at 3 to 4 weeks without heat. They'll be fine.
Thank you! That’s great advice. I wasn’t sure about the crushed rock.

Back
Top Bottom