New coop, small, street legal :P

I got the rest of the roof on, corner flashing, cold galv. Paint on the cut edges and screws, cleaned out, and moved into its final position. Going to get it up on blocks and build some raised garden beds to hide the trailer this weekend.

A29E1ABD-E395-4B3C-9A5C-DB8A06434064.jpeg

334CC7B6-0953-4AB1-8FD7-749BCB2F9C71.jpeg

24E9C72E-2C9F-474D-98B4-7FD86ECC21C6.jpeg

I have looked At some window options to install on the coop, I have a Few weeks to figure out the best spot for them so they are effective and look decent. Need to build a ramp to the yard also, and a closable pop door.

chicks are home!

6DA2F8E8-425C-45FB-8D93-50867F606EB9.jpeg

Well except paint and some ergonomic tweaks for the chickens it’s done, will paint to match the house this week. Trailer is on blocks, detachable tounge removed, and tires are in the garage so they don’t rot out in the elements. Probably 45min to get it ready to roll when (not if) it needs to move. It was a lot of extra work up front But I will be glad it’s mobile when the next hurricane is spooling up in the gulf

I also built a couple raised beds and added drip irrigation. Ran a water line to the coop also so I can set up auto watering

0BC053F4-2490-4FA6-94D8-490AC90BE97D.jpeg

9259F48E-E42B-42A6-9430-2C4FC9C5857B.jpeg

D6C80A8B-5459-404C-B391-4CF894A09F87.jpeg

That's awesome! I'm on the water as well at about 2' above sea level with lots of hurricanes. If we ever get a bad surge my coop will be flooded. Chickens can get high enough to not drown, though. I'll also ride out any storm at my house... it took a direct hit from a Cat 5 two years ago with zero damage. Not worried surge taking house out because our water is a very protected bayou. Water may come up, but there's not enough fetch to create any major wave action. I'll tell you one thing, though... watching what a Cat 5 does to open water is UNBELIEVABLE. Stayed at a house on the water for the storm (which is fortunate because we had doors blow open even with plywood over six sets of french doors) and had a few peep holes drilled in plywood and the wind / waves / debris was truly indescribable. Basically a 2 hour tornado. I knew we were ****** when trees started coming down at 11 am and the forecast called for eye wall to come on shore at like 3:00! House we stayed in lost chimney which compromised roof and we had standing water in attic, upstairs, downstairs and basement. Basically had to gut it, but little structural damage other than the roof and the chimney. Had we not been there (my parents house) with cordless drill and scraps of plywood to scab onto the doors after they started popping open, ALL of the contents in the home would have been destroyed. Fortunately there were a few rooms that stayed dry and we were able to get all artwork, valuables, etc into there in a mad scramble. Unfortunately I lost my boat. Found two days after the storm upside down and destroyed. A different boat had gotten into me and pulled my anchors. Dad's boat made it.

Hurricane rant over. Now it's just Covid. Been a rough 10 years or so for this area. Oil Spill, Cat 5 and now Virus. Geeze.

Back
Top Bottom