New Coop! Upping My Game!

@rosemarythyme - I was thinking that about the nesting boxes...30 is certainly plenty for ~80 chickens. Maybe I can cannibalize that 4th one for parts (or use it elsewhere).

I'll see how the roost works...it is a little steep but the guy claimed they used it. Not an expensive thing to change around if required.

You're thinking similar to I am with the ventilation...some kind of removable partial covering may be required.

It was too cold outside today to take more pictures, but I'll take one of the "chicken doors" tomorrow...they run up the full length of both sides of the coop!

@rosemarythyme - I was thinking that about the nesting boxes...30 is certainly plenty for ~80 chickens. Maybe I can cannibalize that 4th one for parts (or use it elsewhere).

I'll see how the roost works...it is a little steep but the guy claimed they used it. Not an expensive thing to change around if required.

You're thinking similar to I am with the ventilation...some kind of removable partial covering may be required.

It was too cold outside today to take more pictures, but I'll take one of the "chicken doors" tomorrow...they run up the full length of both sides of the coop!
I'm not sure why you want to cram that many chickens in there. The rule of thumb is 1 chicken for every 3-4 sq feet. You've got 160 sq ft which comes to 40 chickens on the roomy side and 53 chickens on the "a bit crowded" side.

So with those more realistic numbers I wouldn't put more than one array of 10 nest boxes in there. And I would certainly design a better layout for the roosts or you are going to have a lot of birds with poopy backs.

But regardless of these issues, it's a heck of a good find.

I'm not sure why you want to cram that many chickens in there. The rule of thumb is 1 chicken for every 3-4 sq feet. You've got 160 sq ft which comes to 40 chickens on the roomy side and 53 chickens on the "a bit crowded" side.

So with those more realistic numbers I wouldn't put more than one array of 10 nest boxes in there. And I would certainly design a better layout for the roosts or you are going to have a lot of birds with poopy backs.

But regardless of these issues, it's a heck of a good find.

3-4 square feet per chicken, in a space they'll go at night and sleep? They'll have access to large run sunup to sundown? That seems a bit excessive.

What's your coop size and # of chickens, just out of curiosity?

3-4 square feet per chicken, in a space they'll go at night and sleep? They'll have access to large run sunup to sundown? That seems a bit excessive.

What's your coop size and # of chickens, just out of curiosity?
You are forgetting about winter. They won't go out much during winter.
My coop (8 x 12 with an 8 x 4 room with the nest boxes and a built-in brooder) with attached fully secure run (28 x 12 with 8 x 4 extension) houses 27 birds. I never close the pop door between the coop and run.
IMG_20191203_081415209.jpg

You are forgetting about winter. They won't go out much during winter.

On days like today (it was 18 and windy when the coop got delivered) I *WISH* I could forget about winter. :lol:

We probably don't get the snow you guys get up there...I find my hens don't mind the cold (they were all out all day today), it's when we have more than an inch or two of snow on the ground is when they tend to stay in (or often, under the coop).

Back
Top Bottom