New Coop! Upping My Game!

The weather warmed up a bit this weekend, so I climbed into the coop to get a closer look.

I think I’m going to replace the “A” framed roosts with a setup that slants from the floor to just below the ventilation windows.

The tricky part will be getting enough slant to avoid birds pooping on each other, while leaving enough floor space to get in for egg collection, but with enough roost space for all the ladies.

I think I’m going to replace the “A” framed roosts with a setup that slants from the floor to just below the ventilation windows.

The tricky part will be getting enough slant to avoid birds pooping on each other, while leaving enough floor space to get in for egg collection, but with enough roost space for all the ladies.

Is there a reason for the slant?
You could run all roosts straight across at one level.
That makes less fighting for the "highest" roost.
If the roosts are only 2-3 feet off the floor, the chickens should be able to get up and down just fine, without needing lower ones to use as a ladder; but it'll still be high enough they can fully use the floor space underneath.

You could run the roosts along the back wall. Or, depending on what shape the nestbox units are, you could run the roosts across the short way of the pen at the far end, and have all nestboxes be toward the front. Or some of each.

It usually works OK to have a roost 1 foot away from a wall, then others at 2 foot spacings, but that varies a bit depending on the size of the chickens.

Yep, that's a challenge!

Slant and spacing keeps birds from pooping on the ones below.
Ladder style can fit more birds, but there are draw backs.

The weather warmed up a bit this weekend, so I climbed into the coop to get a closer look.

Hear tell 45 degrees works. Worked for me, and it's easy to measure and cut and install by eye. You need 12" horizontally between roosts that way, so I think I put each roost 18" apart linearly along the 45 degree supports. Staple poultry netting well, but loose, so the birds who land on it don't get hurt but don't like it so they don't stay on in it. Manure falls through the netting cuz of the small wires. I got these dimensions from a 4 books series that I have two of "Farm Knowledge" circa 1910. Also from Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (book) and Storey County's Building Chicken Coops (large pamphlet from long ago). I note that the unoccupied roosts do not accumulate manure in my coop and I take this to show it's right. Narrower spaced roosts I have show a bit o that on that. I also noted that 2x4 lumber sold as studs has well rounded corners, good for the birds so you dont have to round them off.

Higher density of birds, and as 70% of manure is under the roosts, this keeps more of your floor space with a lower poop density. (o geez, that's good eh?)
That makes less fighting for the "highest" roost.
I think the jousting for top perch is ok. Mine is pretty long so all the birds manage to get comfortably on the top half of the roosts.
t usually works OK to have a roost 1 foot away from a wall
The guides I have suggest 18". I went with less on one, they kept trying to perch at the top where there was no roost, and there is some (not a lot) manure on the wall. The 18" ones I put in since have protected/preserved my old barn wood for the approaching century mark.

Downside: If your birds are clumsy or overweight, flying down from the top roost might be hazardous. Mine come down from the 6' roost to a 3' wide landing area, some curve their flight out of the door. Watch it in the morning right?

Oh man...I hate it when chicken math leads to ACTUAL math. :p

OK, so, in my 20 x 8 coop, I have 30 nesting boxes mounted along 1 of the long walls, and they kick out about a foot from the wall. The first box pretty much touches the back wall, so I have maybe 3-4 feet of bare wall on that side at front (people door) side of the coop. I have a 4th 10-nesting box unit that I don't think I need for the # of birds the coop will hold (someone feel free to express another opinion if you disagree).

So, if I took 6 feet of depth from the other long side, that'd leave me about a 1 foot walkway between the roosts and nesting boxes to collect eggs. That's a little tight but potentially doable.

6 feet, with roosts every 18 inches, gives me room for 4 roosts (6 ft x 12 in = 72 in, 72 in / 18 in = 4).

4 roosts times say, 16 feet long gives me 64 feet of roost space. At one foot of roost space per chicken, that's....<scratches head> 64 chickens worth of space. With a more tight 10 inches of roost space per chicken, that's 76 chickens (64 feet x 12 inches/foot = 768 inches / 10 inches per chicken).

I could probably add a little more roost space (maybe one 4 ft roost) along the back wall connecting the roost structure to the nesting boxes. That's 80 chickens max.

Now, if I wanted to only use 5 feet of width for the roost setup, giving myself 2 feet of space in which to collect eggs...

5 feet, with roosts every 18 inches, gives me room for 3 roosts (5 ft x 12 in = 60 in, 60 in / 18 in = 3.33).

3 roosts by 16 feet each is 48 horizontal feet of roost space, plenty for 50 chickens. At 10 inches of roost space per bird, that's closer to 60 birds.

I'm planning on laying hybrids like Red Stars, so not particularly large birds.

First off....check my math. It's been a LONG time since I've been in school. :D

I'm leaning towards the second setup which is a bit fewer birds, but more space for birds and more room for me to work.

I was thinking 80 chickens when I bought this thing (it was advertised as able to hold 100, but I knew THAT was too many), but I'm thinking the 50 I mentioned starting with is probably about right.

Once mature and laying well, that could still be 3 dozen eggs a day, which is quite a few (21 a week, 80-85 a month, 1,000 a year) - obviously adjusted somewhat for molt, season changes in laying, etc.

#math

I'm leaning towards the second setup which is a bit fewer birds, but more space for birds and more room for me to work.

Your math is correct. Both bold points are key considerations. If you really want to test yourself, set up an obstacle course with whatever junk you have around (like cardboard boxes) and try giving yourself a 1' gap, then a 2' gap, to move around in. (I know realistically you're not going to be wedged into a 1-2' wide tunnel, but bear with me) now do that with a rake or a broom or an egg basket, and see if you're still having a good time.

Your math is correct. Both bold points are key considerations. If you really want to test yourself, set up an obstacle course with whatever junk you have around (like cardboard boxes) and try giving yourself a 1' gap, then a 2' gap, to move around in. (I know realistically you're not going to be wedged into a 1-2' wide tunnel, but bear with me) now do that with a rake or a broom or an egg basket, and see if you're still having a good time.
coat what you are moving around with manure. 2 foot min

coat what you are moving around with manure. 2 foot min

Hey @rosemarythyme & @Manhen, I think we may have just invented a Game Show!!!

It's sure to be a HIT! Like "Double Dare" from my youth, but with chicken poop instead of "slime". :lau

Back
Top Bottom