New coop will it be secure any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by swadle, May 25, 2011.

1. swadle

swadle Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I was wondering if this coop looks safe for our girls? Do we need to shut the door every night? With Hardware cloth on the bottom is that secure against raccoons?

[​IMG]

Back view door to storage, roost, bottom level. And run

[​IMG]

Side View

[​IMG]

Front view

[​IMG]

Side view with doors open

[​IMG]

Top of run

[​IMG]

Top floor Roosting area

[​IMG]

Bottom floor , nesting to right and feeder, and water

[​IMG]

Nesting boxes and feeder in storage area.
    Thanks for looking.

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Yes b/c the run looks like it is chicken wire and raccoons can tear thru that. My run has only chicken wire and I lock my girls up in their coop every night .

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Having the bottom enclosed in hardware cloth is a great idea, but using chicken wire to enclose the run maybe not so much. You will have to lock them up at night in the coop and let them into the run during the day, but there are plenty of predators that can get through that chicken wire during the daytime too, esp when those predators are rearing young. If you can, you may want to think about replacing that chicken wire. The coop is really really pretty! I love the red accents!

4. swadle

swadle Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I was thinking about doing that. Thanks

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    What a nice little coop!

I would go with the suggestions of adding hardware cloth to the run to keep out those stray predators that might come around during the day. Otherwise, Bravo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by