New coop, will it need heating?

i really need a whole square foot of vent for each bird!??

That's the recommended minimum. I have around 3 sq ft per bird, and that stays open through rain and regular snow storms, but we have milder climates, plus my coop is tall so there's a lot more wallspace to work with.

As you are in a colder climate making sure there's no drafts blowing through especially at roost height is key.

20 square feet, 5x4.
Minimum for 4 birds, bantam or not.....most of us have found that more space is better for birds and keepers
You also have to fit other things in there like feeders and nests.
Go bigger, walkin around size, you'll be glad you did in the middle of winter.

it’ll be 60 inches tall at the highest part of the roof, 48 inches at the sloped shorter end of the roof—20 square feet, 5x4. Again only two buffs and two tiny bantams —i really need a whole square foot of vent for each bird!??
Remember this one thing. A warm chicken is a dry chicken. Chickens make a lot of moisture when they breathe and poop. If you get that moist air out of the coop the chickens will use the down feathers nature gave them to keep themselves warm. A chicken can get frostbite at just below freezing in a humid coop. Another chicken might not get frostbite in a well ventilated coop with low humidity when the temperatures are below 0.

Back
Top Bottom