Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hello everyone! I am back today with a finished coop :D For this eod you who didn’t see my other post, my new coop is an 8’ by 10’ resin shed from Home Depot ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Leis...tronghold-Resin-Storage-Shed-157479/100652232 ). It took me about 3 days to build. Now it’s complete, so I’ll post some pictures for you all to see! The real question is, how hard was it to build? Extremely :hmm The mold this company uses is really bad, so the pieces were exceptionally hard to put together, due to small shards of plastic that didn’t belong there. However, once it was up and complete, it looked great! I’m very impressed. It even has a skylight built in. And although it doesn’t look like it, there actually is quite a bit of ventilation (I’m adding some more though). The only thing that is missing is bedding, which I am getting today. So please ignore the chicken poo all over the place :sick:rolleyes: Overall, I’m very excited to finally have a good sized coop!

Quick guide to my coop furniture. The yellow thing on the ground is where I put their water during rain or snow, and next to it is where I put their food. Currently, both are outside because it is a beautiful day. The tree branch serves at a roost and a ladder to get outside. The wood panel that is elevated is their other roost. The second picture is some of the ventilation (in the form of vents) and part of the skylight, which runs across the whole top of the coop. And the three milk crates covered in fleece are nesting boxes. I hope you all like my coop, and I’ll happily take any suggestions or tips!

9F3E8586-24D0-4E02-9840-EBF2564E788F.jpeg
872405B0-8DB5-4D9C-BD25-83B00D19D5C1.jpeg
FBBF210E-FCC2-4F2F-957A-B86A26BD41E0.jpeg
F1F68086-B3B5-4C64-BB3A-5B307BEC8850.jpeg

image.jpg

I have suggested numerous times in the past the prefab shed as a coop option. Plastic has the advantage of a 500 year life. Just kidding of course, but you get the idea. I am using a repurposed LIL TYKES playhouse. It is Plastic and holding up well to no rot. For those that are wood handy, they can build a coop from wood for less$. For those that do not have tool and other resources, prefab sheds are the IDEAL CHOICE...
You will know if you have enough ventilation with your nose. If there is ammonia, that is an easy giveaway. If there is condensation inside, that is another. All is obviously dependent on number of chickens.
You may also consider an automatic pop door. Here is a pix of mine. It is Ador1. I am not affiliated with this company BTW, . Just think it is a VERY GOOD door.

WISHING YOU BEST...... :thumbsup
396.jpg
397.jpg

Love your coop! Plastic is a great choice! I love the little branch you made! Looks like some happy chickens live there. I would suggest adding bedding such as sand or pine shavings to protect your chickens. You wouldn't want them to hurt their legs because they don't have soft bedding to land on! It also keeps the eggs in your nesting box cleaner. Good luck!!!

-Chatty :)

Love the perch/ladder from the tree branch that goes up to the window. What is on the other side of the window? Can they walk down a ramp to the ground or do they jump out the window?

Oh. Ha. I just realized there’s a ramp on the other side. Never mind. Great set up!

Last edited:
I have suggested numerous times in the past the prefab shed as a coop option. Plastic has the advantage of a 500 year life. Just kidding of course, but you get the idea. I am using a repurposed LIL TYKES playhouse. It is Plastic and holding up well to no rot. For those that are wood handy, they can build a coop from wood for less$. For those that do not have tool and other resources, prefab sheds are the IDEAL CHOICE...
You will know if you have enough ventilation with your nose. If there is ammonia, that is an easy giveaway. If there is condensation inside, that is another. All is obviously dependent on number of chickens.
You may also consider an automatic pop door. Here is a pix of mine. It is Ador1. I am not affiliated with this company BTW, . Just think it is a VERY GOOD door.

WISHING YOU BEST...... :thumbsup
View attachment 1177787 View attachment 1177788
Thanks for the advice! I also wanted to use a kids playhouse before, it’s a great idea. But I clearly have too many chickens now :rolleyes: I definitely love the plastic, it’s so easy to clean.

Love your coop! Plastic is a great choice! I love the little branch you made! Looks like some happy chickens live there. I would suggest adding bedding such as sand or pine shavings to protect your chickens. You wouldn't want them to hurt their legs because they don't have soft bedding to land on! It also keeps the eggs in your nesting box cleaner. Good luck!!!

-Chatty :)
Thank you! I just added pine shavings this morning. Also, those eggs are wood, but my little chickens keep pooping in the boxes :sick

Love the perch/ladder from the tree branch that goes up to the window. What is on the other side of the window? Can they walk down a ramp to the ground or do they jump out the window?

Oh. Ha. I just realized there’s a ramp on the other side. Never mind. Great set up!
Thank you very much! :)

Back
Top Bottom