New coop!!

All hindsite, hate to critique an already built coop.
Changing the roosts to the end as @RoosterML suggested would be the easiest 'fix'.

No,no,no! No offense taken from the critique. Part of the reason I posted while everything was still temporary. The best boxes are about 21in from the floor. I put the step just an added feature to just jumping straight to the ground. I was dreaming up some ideas for roost I think this week I’ll change. So I’ll see what comes of it. Keep y’all posted though.

No,no,no! No offense taken from the critique. Part of the reason I posted while everything was still temporary. The best boxes are about 21in from the floor. I put the step just an added feature to just jumping straight to the ground. I was dreaming up some ideas for roost I think this week I’ll change. So I’ll see what comes of it. Keep y’all posted though.
OK then, great!
I would move the nests to the floor level, or bottom of nest opening about 6-8" above floor to accommodate bedding.
Then lower your long roost to just above nests instead of moving and splitting it,
they should be able to jump down without a ramp/ladder.
I hope you plan on large roof overhangs with eave venting front and back.

Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-1-13_17-29-55.png

I have a suggestion, I would change the orientation of your roost. Use the length of your coop to your advantage. I believe that chickens prefer to jump up and down directly onto the roost bars, yes some will use ladders. The way you currently have the roosting bar your really limiting the take off and landing area for your birds. If you change the orientation you will still have the same amount of roosting space, I think you could add 3 bars total if you change direction. This will give you 12' of roosting space. It will also remove the need for a ladder depending how low you start your first roost bar. Stagger them up and back about 12"-16" each time. Once done your birds will have a nice landing area. Again just an idea that I think would work really well. Here's a quick photo of what I am talking about.
View attachment 1639916

I had roosts on 4 different levels but my chickens bullied those ones who were on the lower roosts. all of them wanted to sleep on the highest roost. I had to put all the roosts at the same level.

I had roosts on 4 different levels but my chickens bullied those ones who were on the lower roosts. all of them wanted to sleep on the highest roost. I had to put all the roosts at the same level.
That will happen if you don't have the stagger far enough apart. Once one is on the roost it should be far enough away so the the one under it can easily duck or be out of the way from the bird above it. Usually 12"-16" preferably 16" up and 16" over will take care of that problem.

That will happen if you don't have the stagger far enough apart. Once one is on the roost it should be far enough away so the the one under it can easily duck or be out of the way from the bird above it. Usually 12"-16" preferably 16" up and 16" over will take care of that problem.

They aren't saying that the chicken on top roost is bullying the low chicken while sitting on the high roost (pecking, etc..). They are saying that ALL chickens want to be on the top roost (as you would expect), and the ones that make it up there bullied their way to the top. The chickens down low were the ones who lost the roosting battle. Hence why many folks keep all roosts at the same height. No fighting when there is nothing to fight for. Everyone gets to roost at the same height, even if that means the top of the pecking order is sitting right next to the lowest in the pecking order.

They aren't saying that the chicken on top roost is bullying the low chicken while sitting on the high roost (pecking, etc..). They are saying that ALL chickens want to be on the top roost (as you would expect), and the ones that make it up there bullied their way to the top. The chickens down low were the ones who lost the roosting battle. Hence why many folks keep all roosts at the same height. No fighting when there is nothing to fight for. Everyone gets to roost at the same height, even if that means the top of the pecking order is sitting right next to the lowest in the pecking order.
I understand. That's fine if you have enough room. In the 4x8 coop you don't have that much room. With the height the roost appears to be at in the picture it looks that it MAY lead to injury. Just awkward to be that high up with that little room in front of it. I think it's fairly safe to say that chickens would prefer to jump up and down without a ladder. That's what I was trying to get at. Maybe I have special chickens but just because they are all at the same height doesn't stop the fighting. I've seen several times while watching one hen walk over to the other and just plain old knock the other off. They have plenty of space to all be on top also.

I understand. That's fine if you have enough room. In the 4x8 coop you don't have that much room. With the height the roost appears to be at in the picture it looks that it MAY lead to injury. Just awkward to be that high up with that little room in front of it. I think it's fairly safe to say that chickens would prefer to jump up and down without a ladder. That's what I was trying to get at. Maybe I have special chickens but just because they are all at the same height doesn't stop the fighting. I've seen several times while watching one hen walk over to the other and just plain old knock the other off. They have plenty of space to all be on top also.

Agreed. I have nothing against multi level roosts. But if there is room, I think single level is ideal. I think most folks don't have the luxury of a large enough coop to give them room to jump down, like you said.

OK so update. I now have two routes that are about 4 foot long level with each other on the other side of the coop I have another one same links. All of them were about 30 inches Off the ground. That’s about level with the top of the nesting box. Well not necessarily level but close to being level

Sorry 28in! As far as nesting boxes... they like the height so I’m not gonna change it. Not that it has any correlation, butsince they have moved to the new higher nest boxes, egg production has almost doubled.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom