New coop!

interesting that the omlet coop has a poop grate.
It looks great, the frame, the netting, a clean coop. Just how it should be. MAybe missing a few roosting bars in the form of branches but that is how I would picture my ideal run tbh.
Thanks! Those bars serve as both roosting bars and a poop grate. The Orpington likes to sleep with belly to the ground so was always sleeping in the nesting box - but the omlet roost allows her to perch and melt into a chicken puddle so she sleeps in the roost! Agree- I’d like to figure out some more branch roosts in the run though for daytime roosting.

No apron, but it’s up on cinder blocks that are half buried. So they would have to dig a ways to get in and so far rodents have not been an issue. Will keep an eye on it though. Thanks.
4"(half a block) is not match for most diggers.
I'd add an apron before it's 'needed'(sleeping outside at night).

Updates.. we added a little door on the side to throw in kitchen scraps without fighting to keep the chickens from running out.
7CF27CFB-2252-490E-80FB-7DF236EB59CB.jpeg

Last edited:
For those interested -it is now consistently in the high 90’s with high humidity here and I’ve been very happy with the omlet cube. I was initially worried how it would do in heat because it was designed mostly for the cold.. It is in the shade most of the day and I did put some reed mats and a flower box on top for extra sun protection but if I stick an arm or my head inside it seems to be the coolest shadiest place for them while they are laying and it feels like ambient air at night. They still prefer roosting inside the cube despite the heat and it is way cooler in temp than their former wooden coop with the metal roof. I give them plenty of water to drink and a freshly filled bird bath to wade in and have done nothing else special and they seem happy and healthy. Occasional panting. Their combs have grown nice and big so I think that helps with the heat.

Just wanted to share our new set up. It has been working out great. It’s so easy and the chickens are happy. Was definitely an investment with the attached omelet but so happy with how easy it is to keep clean and mite free and the chickens seem to love it too. We have two chickens we have had since January. We live in Houston so it’s hot and we have to keep the flock small. We are using a deep litter method with leaf litter in the covered run. I am amazed how well this deep litter system works! Less flies and odor than when I raked poop every day. The roost has walnut shell litter under the bars that I scoop out with a slotted cat litter scoop. And pine shavings in the nest box. View attachment 2693722View attachment 2693723View attachment 2693724View attachment 2693725
Hi I noticed you have the omlet cube I'm curious how your liking it we purchased the omlet cube with the 9ft run in June still waiting for delivery keeps getting delayed I know it's kinda of expensive but after a lot of research it's the coop we decided to go with I'm looking forward to the easy cleaning and maintaining have you had any problems with it.. and did it take forever to be delivered and setup

Back
Top Bottom