New coop

RonC

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 28, 2012
East Texas
Recently moved and had to have some shelter for my 2 chickens so I bought one of the coops from TSC. Worked OK inside a 10x10 dog run for a while but was too small. At the old house their run was 8 x 10 with a 9 sq foot coop inside the run. At the new place I sectioned off a part of my storage shed and built a new coop inside with a chicken door leading to the rearranged dog kennel under a carport awning that was here when I moved. Now they have a 7 x 16 coop inside the storage building and a 10 x 15 covered run outside. Ceiling in the coop was a shelf in the storage building. It could be a little taller but not worth the work involved to raise it. I'm out the wood for the new roosts and the chicken door. Everything else was repurposed. Now I need more chickens. May let them free range the back 1/3 acre in the furure.

Attachments

• IMG_20221218_092836778_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221218_092836778_HDR.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221218_164953205.jpg
    IMG_20221218_164953205.jpg
    866.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20221218_165345798.jpg
    IMG_20221218_165345798.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20221221_140648621.jpg
    IMG_20221221_140648621.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 20
Probably about 8-10.
Will you let them raise chicks? Will you harvest them for meat?

All of ours would classify as 'pets' so they will get to live out their old age. If you are going this route, I would consider spacing out your 8-10, as their egg production drops as they get older. So, consider adding 4 once your are a few years old. Then add 4 more once the next batch are a few years old. Then, when you get down to 4-6, add 4 more.

Will you let them raise chicks? Will you harvest them for meat?

All of ours would classify as 'pets' so they will get to live out their old age. If you are going this route, I would consider spacing out your 8-10, as their egg production drops as they get older. So, consider adding 4 once your are a few years old. Then add 4 more once the next batch are a few years old. Then, when you get down to 4-6, add 4 more.
These 2 are the last of 4 I bought 6-7 years ago so yea they are pets. Learned my lesson about naming them lol. Plan is eggs only at this time. May raise some meat birds in the future. I have had 6 at one time so I know about a surplus of eggs. Good idea with only getting a few and waiting a while to get more. Glad I built it a little large since they are under lock down during this Siberian cold front. Plan to add a small window on the east side for a little more natural light inside. Found one surplus for $5.

Plan to add a small window on the east side for a little more natural light inside. Found one surplus for $5.

Natural light is good. I have seen some people just frame out a window box with 2X4's, then cover it with hardware cloth. Adds lots of ventilation and natural light depending on how big you build the frame. In cold weather, you could simply staple some transparent plastic over the window as needed. Just another option to consider.

Shed the coop is in is 24 x 16 so it's not really such a confined area. Temporarily covered the open side of the coop near the roosting area to trap more heat in that area during this hard freeze. My average low temp in January is 38, it's 10 this morning with a 15 mph wind! This summer I will have to re-evaluate and possibly add some ventilation higher up in the shed also.

Recently moved and had to have some shelter for my 2 chickens so I bought one of the coops from TSC. Worked OK inside a 10x10 dog run for a while but was too small. At the old house their run was 8 x 10 with a 9 sq foot coop inside the run. At the new place I sectioned off a part of my storage shed and built a new coop inside with a chicken door leading to the rearranged dog kennel under a carport awning that was here when I moved. Now they have a 7 x 16 coop inside the storage building and a 10 x 15 covered run outside. Ceiling in the coop was a shelf in the storage building. It could be a little taller but not worth the work involved to raise it. I'm out the wood for the new roosts and the chicken door. Everything else was repurposed. Now I need more chickens. May let them free range the back 1/3 acre in the furure.

Are you going to buy chicks? Have you already resupplied your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom