New Corona, Covid-19 thread. Facts and Discussions - How It Affects you're Life & Poultry

BDutch

natural
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
Why this new thread?
I have been following another thread about Corona. "Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread" . In this chat thread I need to search for the more serious contributions. And to be honest, all the chit-chat annoyes me being a slow English reader.

This new Corona thread is for all BYC members who are interested in a serious discussion and like to know what is going on all over the world. To share information about Corona that might be interesting to know for BYC members and how it affects you're live and livestock.

If you share information, please quote only reliable sources.

Research: Cats can get coronavirus, dogs hardly, chickens and ducks don't.

Cats and ferrets can become infected with the coronavirus, but dogs barely and chickens, pigs and ducks at all. According to news agency Reuters, this is evident from a study published in China in January and February, published in the scientific journal Science.

Epidemiologist Maria van Kerkhove of World Health Organization WHO said at a press conference on Wednesday that pets do not appear to play a role in the spread of the virus, but that they can be infected by people who are infected.
Source: nrc.nl (translated)

Q

More testing and apps to stop the world wide confinement?
South Korea's formula for success: test, monitor, warn. With the help of apps that track the corridors of civilians, South Korea got the virus under control. Privacy does not play a role in this.

What is the secret of the South Korean approach? First, the intensive and rapid testing of all people who may have the virus, and second, the use of mobile phone data. Not only to monitor whether patients remain in quarantine, but also to warn those who are not yet infected to avoid areas where the virus has turned up. The combination of targeted testing, checking and warning proved effective in fighting viruses.

And now our government has announced they are going to follow this strategy to stop the social distancing rules for everyone. Only those who were in contact with people who have Corona have to avoid contacts for 2 weeks. And people get tested more and are monitored after contact with Corona patients. They are develloping apps in Germany and in the UK for this purpose too. The Netherlands is buying the software from them.

Because of the privacy rules, the government want people to download the apps themselves. One app is for tracking. Another app is a care-app for monitoring and helping those who got infected. The apps are not ready to get launched yet. But will be soon.

The first 2 alinea's are from NRC.nl (translated).

Last edited:
Toilet paper shortages, at least here in the US, are expected to continue. It's not, however, due to hoarding.
https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

With so many people using their own bathrooms at home instead of using facilities at work or school, home toilet paper production lines are having a really hard time keeping up with the demand. Commercial toilet paper plants, which supply schools, work place, stores, and public restrooms and home toilet paper plants are two separate manufacturing lines and because of the bulk and storage difficulty, home toilet paper manufacturers don't keep excessive stores of it.

I don't have an article to cite on paper towels, but I would imagine the same manufacturing issues come into play there and shortages of paper towels might also continue.

Vaccin testing and laboratory animals.
I just saw a documentary about developing a vaccin against Covid 7in Belgium. The first test with mice didn’t work. Both the groups (with and withouth vaccination) didn’t get sick. Now they use hamsters and this is promissing.

German health care and regulations
In one region in Germany they are going to ease the regulations a bit. They have a very good healthcare system in this region ( North Rein Westfalen). Enough protection materials, enough testing materials, hospital and ICU beds, The death rate for Corona patients is only 0,3% in NRW so far. About 15% of the population was infected.Worldwide death rate is 1.9%.
Source: nos.nl

Research: Athletes should keep more distance
Exercise outside? Keep in mind that keeping a distance of 1.5 meters is not enough. Researchers from Eindhoven University of Technology and Katholieke Universiteit Leuven report today that the distance between athletes standing next to each other should be at least 4 to 5 meters. People who cycle and run together must keep a distance of 10 meters and cyclists even 20 meters.
Source: Nu.nl (translated)

The outdoor distancing guidelines may be part of the 'upwind/ downwind' issues that must be in play there, and the increased breathing efforts used when exercising. At least that's my best guess.
i want to be upwind when outside!
Mary
You are right. Wind can cause further spreading.
But the many meters behind runners and cyclist has to do with the slipstream.

I wonder if that counts for runner ducks too.😁

The doctors and researchers come with new facts almost every day. Yesterday they told on television (independent newschannel) : People who are infected with very little viruses get less sick than people who had close and unprotected contact with sick people.
So if anyone in you’re household gets Covid it is better to avoid contact as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom