New Country Girl from Florida!

LilChickenLady

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Central Florida
My husband & I moved last fall, and now we are able to have chickens & more, but chickens are our first step. My husband is in the process of building the "Daisy" coop plan from MyPetChicken. My first baby chickens will be coming around April 23, and to say "I am excited" is putting it way too mildly! :) The first 4 chickens I ordered are: Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, and a White Leghorn. This week I am buying my last few supplies for them, and I will be ready! :)

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on the new chicks that are coming!! You picked out some very pretty birds that will lay some nice colored eggs!

If you need any tips and hints on raising your new flock, stop by our learning center here on BYC for lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping poultry..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck with your new chicks and welcome to our flock!

My babies are coming from My Pet Chicken, and I went ahead and paid for the Marek's Disease injections. I want to start them out right :)

I have been ready some posts on the "Raising BabyChicks" Forum, and I have a few questions.... Someone said they were using potty pads for the first few days, and then using pine shavings. Is this what I should do with my babies, instead of the pine immediately?

Welcome to BYC! I use paper towels when the chicks just hatch and move them to shavings after they're getting around a little better. Either one would be fine. Just don't use newspaper too slippery.

Liz X2. Newspaper is way to slippery and can cause spraddle legs. I use paper towels as well. Just something you can sprinkle feed on the brooder floor around the feeder on so they can find the feed. After a few days and they know where the feed is stored, you can remove the paper towels.

Great on the Mareks vaccines! Mareks is a devastating virus and is everywhere here on the US. Enjoy your new adventure!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new chicks, sounds like you have some nice breeds picked out! Have fun deciding what you want for your next four, looks like Chicken Math has struck again! X3 I use paper towels the first few days until they are eating well, then switch them over to shavings.

Back
Top Bottom