New customer, I hope

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K-Chick, Apr 25, 2009.

1. K-Chick

K-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    NW In
    I gave the neighbor boy free eggs to take to his mom and I wrote a note just saying that I had a few extra I wanted to share. She called me later to thank me and then said that she had never tried them. She sounded skeptical, I think because they are brown. So I told her to let me know what she thinks. So maybe later she will buy them from me. Clever huh?![​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Very clever. I actually had to make a information sheet for a few of my city slicker customers - it explains blood spots, meat spots, the bright orange yolks and cloudy whites. It also explains the better nutrition of free range eggs vs. supermarket eggs.

3. okieroy

okieroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Bethany, Ok
    You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that information sheet you could post would you. I would like to blatenly steal this idea from you. IF you don't mind. [​IMG]

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Quote:Being a newbie, can you explain that to me as well... if you don't mind? Or point me in the right direction to find the info? BTW, I also have an irish wolfhound!

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:yes same here i would love a copy [​IMG]

6. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Ditto, just for my own info so I know what's okay.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here it is, word for word:

ABOUT FARM FRESH EGGS

There are some noticeable differences in free range eggs vs. store bought eggs.

Orange yolks - My chickens free range all day. They are never in cages. This provides them with a diet rich in greens. I supplement their diet with corn. Greens and corn produce an egg with a deep orange yolk.

Blood spots/meat spots - These are common and occur during the formation of the egg within the hen's body. They DO NOT indicate a fertile egg. The reason you never see them in store bought eggs is that store bought eggs are candled before packaging. Eggs showing blood/meat spots during candling are sold for use in making animal feeds and other products.

Cloudy whites - When a hen lays an egg the air cell inside the egg is full of carbon dioxide; which clouds the white. As the egg ages the carbon dioxide escapes through the pores in the eggshell in exchange for oxygen. Once the level of oxygen inside the egg is higher than the level of carbon dioxide the white clears. Cloudy whites are a sign of really fresh eggs.

According to a recent study by Mother Earth News, free range eggs have*:

* 1/3 less cholesterol
    * 1/4 less saturated fat
    * 7 times more beta carotene
    * 2/3 more vitamin A
    * 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
    * 3 times more vitamin E

*As compared to USDA data for factory farm eggs

ENJOY YOUR FARM FRESH EGGS!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for posting that!

9. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We've given out many "samples" of our ducks eggs too. You wouldn't believe how many people ask "can you eat duck eggs?" And we have had new customers because of it. [​IMG] I like the information sheet idea though. Saves us from a lot of explaining.

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you might want to add to your sheet, don't make boiled eggs out of fresh eggs till they are a week old, you won't be able to peel them. can I copy? great idea

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by