New day old chicks and first time owners

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new4eggs, Dec 22, 2010.

1. new4eggs

new4eggs New Egg

Dec 21, 2010
    Ok peeps I just got my first batch of 20 chickens today and have gave plenty of food and water. Is it ok to pick them up and take them from the heat lap and hold in hand for awhile or will they get cold this way! Help a novice out on what I can and can't do? I also have a 4 year old who wants to hold them is this ok and to what extreme should gets handle?
    Also I am using paper towell for the bottom is this ok? and how often do you change the flooring out?

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Yes you can take them out and hold them, just not for too long, as they will get cold. I let my kids handle the chicks, but only with me holding them and the kids petting.

Paper towels is good for the first few days. Change it often, as it will get really poopy, especially with 20 chicks.

And, [​IMG]

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I usually change the flooring when it just simply gets nasty. With 20 chicks, I would definitely change it daily at least.

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome!! What kind of chicks? Try to get some pics, we love babies on the BYC forum!!!

5. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    After a few days, I would remove the paper towels and put down Pine shavings. Make sure that its PINE and NOT CEDAR.
    Cedar contains some oils that can mess with the chicks respiratory system.
    as far as handling them... play with them as much as you want [​IMG] but do keep them warm, don't stray too far from the heat, or take them outside in the cold.

Try searching some of the threads in this part of the forum. there is a lot of great information to be read.

ooh yeah, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I would suggest three layers of papertowels. One, because it will be more absorbent to runny poo and splashed water. Two, because chicks will poop while you are cleaning out a single layer of towels making one big mess. If you have multiple layers you can grab the top layer off and they can poo on the secondary layer. Works like a charm. [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Lots of info in the learning center, link at the top of the page.

Don't worry about the chicks getting cold. Your hand will keep them warm; if they feel cold you will be able to tell.

My week olds were running around in below freezing weather when they had a perfectly good mama offering, often, to let them under her to warm them. They aren't as fragile as they seem. Actually, you can overheat them quite easily, which will kill them, too. Be sure they have plenty of room to move away from your heat lamp.

And... [​IMG]

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Also to add I put aquarium beads in the waterer that way no one can fall in and possible drown. They sometimes have a habit of falling asleep where they stand. This way they cant fall asleep in the water possibly drowning. Also I add vitamin/electrolyte in there water for the first few days.

9. new4eggs

new4eggs New Egg

Dec 21, 2010
    Sorry had to figure out how to put pictures up but here they are lets see if I can get them right: the first picture is Barred Rock 2nd Ameraucana 3rd Black Sex Link and the 4th White Leghorns. five of each kind
    More pictures to follow and thanks for all the good info, I do have pine shaving but planned on saving it until they move to the coop!! You say I should use in the brooder as well and not paper towel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are so adorable and the little chearp is amazing.

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    They are so cute! You can hold them, just make sure they stay warm. If they get cold, they'll chirp....a lot. You can go to my BYC page to see how I tame chicks. One of the things is I hold them against one of the big blood vessels in my neck so they can feel my heartbeat. That helps them stay warm, too... Enjoy your new babies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by