New Design and Alternative techniques

Slaghunter,

You are completely right about the windows and masonry. There is a local company that resells used building materials. They regularly carry everything I would need. I will most likely be going to them for everything.

I had not really looked at using radiant because of the possible complexity. I have installed radiant in our house, so I do understand it and how to build what you are talking about. Even a passive solar system. Problem would be in keeping it simple and cheap. I need to work on solar hydronics more before I actually attempt such a project. Maybe I could do it in a new and larger building. My wife wants a big kennel building for the dogs. I will do it there first.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Pat,

I like the idea of a sealed sun porch. I will need to work on the designs a little more and decide about how to deal with the ventilation. You are right about building flexibility into the coop design. I may need to do exactly that. Potentially just to deal with the differences between the seasons. Summer winds and storms are different than the winter ones, and so will have a different effect on the coop.

You are completely right about the preconditioning of fresh air. The pipe does not really need to be buried. At least not completely. I can also have it snake or coil under the coop. The question would be how much pipe to use and where to get it from. Or maybe I should just see how much I can get? Maybe I can get something used as well...

I need to spend a little more time working on these designs. I'm still liking the idea of having pigeons above the coop, so I need to work on how to deal with their needs as well. I may be able to use the ventilation of one area along with the other. I need to think about it.

This is a great challenge. I'm glad you are all here to bounce ideas off. Not to mention getting a little encouragement along the way.

Thanks

Here area couple of update pics.

6945_chicken_coop_66.jpg
6945_chicken_coop_inside_66.jpg

The first shows the outside with changes to the aviary above the sun porch. This is for pigeons. The second shows a little of the inside. Hard to tell, but on the left you can see several nesting boxes. On the left are the perches along the back wall. The human door has been moved to the right wall. There is also still some space for storage of feed, etc.

Thanks CTChickenMom. My wife is going to let me have one chance for this. So I need to get it right the first time. She would be willing to do anything for our dogs, but not poultry. Although she wants a few turkeys every year. But I want a good coop/loft. That's the reason for so much design work, and discussion.

Thanks again.

Edit: Just remembered... I'm looking at transplanting some of our hops vines to the coop. These grow really fast and prolific. Great for creating summer shade around the sun porch. Does anyone know if these would be an issue for the chickens? Poison? Stomach upset? I think they are fine for most things, but not sure. They are used in different medicinal ways.

Last edited:
Do hops grow in your zone? I really wanted some to cover my run, but I was afraid they wouldn't be winter hardy. I don't think they would make the chickens sick.

I don't find hops (Humulus lupulus) on these sites:

UCDavis, Toxic plants
Purdue, Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets
Cornell, Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Your much more sophisticated design (what program are you using anyway?) is beginning to look more like my little coop with a sunporch. It pales by comparison, however
roll.png

I've never had more than 4 pigeons, 2 quail, and 4 chickens in there but it is only 7' by 7.5' in total area. The open sunporch is on the east side.

Steve

Catalina,

They grow quite well actually. Best to mulch them a bit(3"-6"), but they do well. Mine and the transplants I gave to my mother have been able to grow 15'-25' each season. They seem to sprout more shots every year. Doubling each year for the first few years.

digitS',

Great to hear. I was hoping as much. Program I use is by Punch!, Landscaper.

Thanks

Catalina,

I use ornamental ones. I think they are a little different then the ones used commercially. Still very nice though. You do need to clean them up in the late fall when they die back to the ground. Very easy to do though because they are soft.

Enjoy.

digitS',

Yours is probably far better than mine. Yours is built! Much better than one in my head. lol

Here is the final design along with a change to the fencing for the run. My wife has agreed to the chickens if I use the "Chicken Moat" idea. So here it is:

6945_chicken_moat.jpg

Now I just need to hope that I can build it soon. I want to be buying birds by the end of the summer.

Back
Top Bottom