1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New duck? Help please! :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jujubeans2008, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Hello!
    So, today we rescued a stray duck that was found in the middle of the road being harassed by a dog. Nobody from the surrounding area has claimed the duck.

Since we already have four ducks, we decided to take it in. How do you go about introducing a new duck, to an existing flock?

Also, what kind of duck is this? We were thinking a Muscovy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    The best way to introduce it would be to put the new duck in a cage inside the other ducks coop, or right beside it, and let them get used to each for several days. After that, you can either put it in your flock with supervision while they work out the pecking order, or you can first put the new duck with the current dominant duck in your flock until they're comfortable with each other, and then put both of them back in with the whole flock.Hope that helps. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Thank you! Our pens are side by side, so they are able to be close without being too close. The new duck is thrilled to see other ducks, and it tries following them wherever they go, through the pen. Haha. :)

4. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    So sweet, hope everything else goes OK!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get a fecal test to make sure there are no parasites to share . . . then treat if necessary. Easier to do one than all. Lovely, lovely, lovely duck and people!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by