1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Duck Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckking, Jan 10, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I just bought a new 8 month old rouen. He is very shy and probably is afraid of us. How do i get him to be less shy and nicer to me?

2. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Time and treats. When you go out to be with him, don't force him to come to you or be next to you. Sit in the area he is in and just be there. He'll eventually learn you are there as a friend and provider and won't be as scared of you.

Good luck!!

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    That's the best advice. I find that sitting near them and talking while tossing peas their way works perfectly, it takes time and depending on the duck can take lots of time but so worth it. There's nothing like seeing and hearing your ducks greet you when you walk towards their pen :) When I go out with the peas my ducks all dance around singing and gather at my feet, a couple of them step up on my feet to see if they can get the treats first LOL

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by