New duck mama....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kelidei, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have three 1 week old Runners. Just wondering if there is some way to minimize water splashing.... it seems quite hopeless :) I am using the usual 1 qt chick waterer and yesterday I raised it about 2 inches which seem to help some... at least they can't put their feet in it!!! It is amazing the mess they can make with just a little bit of water.

Also do ducks need grit like chickens? I am smitten with these babies... they are so adorable! Thanks [​IMG]

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Just remember that they HAVE to be able to dunk their faces in some water. I don't know anything about babies, so I cannot really help you much but could you try a small bowl set in something, like a rubbermaid container with an opening cut into one side. Or a cat litter box with one side cut down? Put a piece of wood across the middle of the bowl to keep them from climbing in if you don't have one small enough.
    Hope this helps.

3. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    For ducklings.....get an old bleach bottle, wash out well, and cut a hole in the side just big enough to stick their head thru. Each week you need a new bottle because the duck grows and the hole placement changes...until they are bigger and then you use a tupperware bowl placed inside something larger and taller...so they can drink but not splash it out beyond the outside container. What happens is they take a bite of food then go to the water to swallow. As they return to the food bowl their mouth is still full of water and it dribbles everywhere. If the water bowl is accessable they wil attempt to swim...so you have to let them know they DO have swim time in the sink or tub. Then they quit trying to get In the water bowls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by