New duck mamma questions..added pic to help ID

trailrprkprincs

Hatching
7 Years
May 18, 2012
Hello, our family just became the pround owner of our first duckling and I have no idea of what I'm doing! Ok, not really....I've read tons and have a BF who has raised guinea fowl, chickens and roosters. I have all the basics covered...heat, feed, bedding and what not. I don't know exact age but I'm not too concerned about that nor sex...figure I'll find out eventually. My true and burning question is about breed. My hubby picked out our little Howie from a bin at the local feed and seed store marked "assorted ducks". I have read almost every all yellow duckling in this situation is a Pekin, but my all yellow duckling had a dark brown spot (maybe a first feather?) on his little tail, and his tail area seems almost white. Other than that he has typical Pekin coloring I think. I tried to take pic, but I don't think it would be much help. Does anybody know what kind of duck baby we have?
All his bin mates seemed either solid yellow or Rouen/Mallard colored if this helps, and this store has a large selection of fowl that has tags identifying breed. Not sure why hubby picked an "assorted" variety, but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants!
Thank you for replies.

Last edited:
Just one spot? I'd still say Pekin.

WelcometoBYC.gif

Yes, just one. It's so small it barely shows on camera. I'm waiting for it warm up outside to try to get a pic outdoors. Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking since we got him a few days ago and have learned a ton!

ok, heres another, little blurry. I took this one this morning, and I think the brown feather(?) has mulitiplied since then! The pool pic was yesterday. Thank you all for any ID ideas.

All I can say is Howie is adorable, and most likely a Pekin, I bet Howie would love another duckling to keep it company,. They really do better if they have another of their kind with them. And
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you. I've been quite worried about him being lonley, but my hubby is the one who decided to get a duck and his main objective is to have him as a very engaged social pet and he fears if we get another duck it they will bond with each other, not us. We have 3 children...2 teens and an 8 yr old who will help keep him company and I only work part time and hubby is home full time for a few weeks, so I'm hoping that we can keep our little guy entertained. We take him out of his box for outside walks several times a day, and he is kept in our bathroom and I've asked everybody in the house to talk with him eveytime they go in there.
I'm not sure, but I hope all this interaction will be enough for him, but if not I would love to know. I would like to know everybodys general opinion on lone duck vs several ducks...I've read lots on the subject but I'd love to hear "real world" advice!

Thank you. I've been quite worried about him being lonley, but my hubby is the one who decided to get a duck and his main objective is to have him as a very engaged social pet and he fears if we get another duck it they will bond with each other, not us. We have 3 children...2 teens and an 8 yr old who will help keep him company and I only work part time and hubby is home full time for a few weeks, so I'm hoping that we can keep our little guy entertained. We take him out of his box for outside walks several times a day, and he is kept in our bathroom and I've asked everybody in the house to talk with him eveytime they go in there.
I'm not sure, but I hope all this interaction will be enough for him, but if not I would love to know. I would like to know everybodys general opinion on lone duck vs several ducks...I've read lots on the subject but I'd love to hear "real world" advice!
Although I love it when ducklings are get attached, it can create a few problems....Especially, I think, if it turns out to be a drake. I incubated 7 eggs last year and little Percy was the only one to hatch. He was so loving and bonded very quickly, and even though I did hatch a few more to keep him company, by that time he was fully bonded to me, and no amount of other ducks could change that. :) For about 7 1/2 months he was great! He let me hold him and pet him, and would stay so close to me that I had a hard time walking! lol But one day (literally, the day before he was normal, and the next day he wasn't), he started to bite me and became very aggressive....:( I asked questions on here about why it happened and how to get him back to his old loving self, but sadly, everything I tried failed...:( Some said that it was hormones, and that it should go away, and I'm still praying and hoping that he'll go back to normal, but so far he's still very aggressive. And since he's not afraid of me at all, he goes after me at every opportunity, biting so hard that I either start bleeding, or I get angry red/purple welts that take days to go away. I know this doesn't always happen, but I just want to caution you that it could. My Cayuga was had the same sweet temperament, and never got aggressive, but she was a female, so I think that might have changed things. But yeah, I don't want to take away any of the joy of having a new little duckling, I just want to make you aware of the possibilities.

I have always had ducks in pairs or threes and I think they really need the ducky company. They talk to each other all the time and seem to feel safe when they are together. I have had disasters when I have lost ducks to foxes and have had one left on its own and it is always very lonely. It will go round with the chickens but the excitement when you introduce new ducks is very touching to see. I think I would get it a friend if I were you - but whatever you do enjoy your little one!

Back
Top Bottom