New duck mom needs advice please

New duck mama

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
I am having a problem with my Pekin Drake, he is approximately 11 weeks old. I have been reading through any post I can find to try and help me. He was up and running with all my others ducks, and 5 days ago, I noticed that he walked a few steps and would plop down. My husband & I checked his legs. There were no visible injuries, so we got some Niacin tablets (to dissolve in water) and Poly Vi Sol without iron. Have been giving him the Poly Vi Sol until yesterday, and went to dissolving niacin tablets in warm water to give a little bit bigger dose. He is very alert, has started eating more, and I give him warm baths at night, snuggle with him, then put him to bed. He is separate from the other ducks currently. At night I bring in his "girlfriend " to keep him company, and boost his morale. I guess what I am asking is how long will it be before I will possibly start seeing an improvement in him?? Thank you for reading and helping me out

That's kind of a tough question since there are so many variables. What type of Niacin tablets are you using? Need an idea of dosage. If you can, please post a picture of the label. (Also, if you have other ducklings, have you been giving them Niacin in some form?)

Had you been giving your Pekin drake a source of Niacin prior to 5 days ago?

That's kind of a tough question since there are so many variables. What type of Niacin tablets are you using? Need an idea of dosage. If you can, please post a picture of the label. (Also, if you have other ducklings, have you been giving them Niacin in some form?)

Had you been giving your Pekin drake a source of Niacin prior to 5 days ago?

He was recieving niacin via the chick starter when he was really little, and then we switched the ducks to all flock pellets abut 3 weeks ago. This is he stuff I have been using for him.. the Niacin crushed, 1/2 a tablet - 1 ful tablet 3x aday... and the vitamins I mix in with the niacin and give him via a eye dropper. He is as alert as can be, and happy... just not walking... I am also adding the niacin & vitamins to the water containers for the other ducks as well.

Attachments

• 20170523_090514.jpg
    20170523_090514.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 5
Okay, so the chick starter doesn't have enough Niacin for ducks. Does the All Flock have Niacin? Can you take a picture of the ingredients & post here? Also, take some close up pics of him & post.

As described above, that sounds like too much Niacin, although I don't know if too much can be harmful. He seems fine other than not walking?

I'll tag some members with more knowledge so hopefully they can share suggestions.

@casportpony
@Pyxis
@Amiga
@Miss Lydia

I get mine at Kroger's grocery store in baking aisle next to flax seed and gluten free baking stuff. You can get at whole foods market and sometimes Walmart. This is what I use.
IMG_20170523_133644_-1873616985.jpg
You can use brewer's yeast too. Search nutritional yeast an Google and should pull up where you might find it near you. I accidentally came across it while buying groceries one day at store

I have had the 'few paces and plop down' with my ducks from time to time. It seems to be from a trip, bash, fall or disagreement with another duck. You can give pain medication in the form of aspirin. Baby aspirin tablets are usually 70-80mg and you should administer 1/3 of a tablet per lb of body weight, crushed in a small amount of water and drip fed with a syringe in the mouth. I usually do this in the morning so it helps them get about if they want to during the day.

Just want to mention that some sources say aspirin is not the best for ducks or ducklings...for anti inflammatory for my ducks, my vet said some turmeric in the food may help.

Back
Top Bottom