New Duck Owner, with questions about bedding and food intake

Hay and straw are harvested differently, and are most often different plants.

Hay tends to be more green, and contains more nutrients. It is used mostly as a feed on the farm (or in the garden farm or backyard for that matter).

Straw tends to be more yellow and brown, has more fiber, and fewer nutrients. It is mostly used as bedding, though animals will eat some of it.

Since hay has more nutrients, microbes like to grow in it, a bit more than they like to grow in straw.

The straw we get around here (New England) may be the stalks of wheat after the wheat seeds are removed, the stalks of oats after oat seeds are removed, or dry meadow grasses. Hay can be timothy, orchard grass, alfalfa a.k.a. lucerne, or others.

Sounds like you have some challenging situations going on around you. I pray the ducks will help cheer you up and make you smile.

Ducks need extra help in hot weather. Storey's Guide recommends that when the temperature is above 70F, the ducks have shade. For me, when the temperatures hit 90, I refresh the swim pan (a kiddie pool) with cool fresh water in the mid-afternoon, draw the shade cloth over at least half of the Day Pen, and keep a close eye on the ducks. They will pant when they are very warm. Most of my ducks are black or brown, so direct sun can really overheat them.

If it's going to be in the upper 90s or more, I move them for a few hours midday into the basement pen where it is nice and cool, around 60 to 70F.

Their swim pan is out in the Day Pen. But on the veranda, part of Little Fort Knox for nighttime, there is room for a couple of large (about 3 gallons) stainless steel mixing bowls. I set them down into the bedding and sand a bit so they won't tip over, and make sure there is fresh cool water in them for overnight. Sometimes the ducks cool off by stepping into the bowls.

I do have 2 silly questions.. What is the differences between hay and straw? I thought they were the same... Haha!
The linoelium with straw sounds like a great idea! I was nervous about the cleaning daily because im working full time, going to grad school full time.. I have 2 dogs, had 3 but our 17 year old Bichon had to be put to sleep March 4th., my one dog is 10 and going through chemo after having a radical mAsectomy (all 10 breast removed) and my mom is also trying to beat breast cancer so you definitely calmed my nerves on that!
I never thought of a thermometer, that is a great idea! Our yard gets partial sun, but a typical summer day will be 90/95 with high humidity.. We usually get 80-90 inches of snow in a winter and only got 2.5 total inches, so I'm fearful of what this summer is going to be like. Do they deal well with heat? The shade cloth sounds like a great idea! They will only be in the coop at night 730/8pm to early am.. But I will definitely make a shade cloth in The yard!
Do you have A pool area in the coop for them or just in the day coop? They will be in our fenced in yard with an infant pool then kiddie pool.
http://www.petco.com/product/116918...ry+Hatched+Gable+Rabbit+Hutch+with+Run-116918
This Is The coop I bought, and Now there is a negative review .. I wish I could build one!!

I apologize for not getting to you sooner, probably could have saved you a lot of headaches. We have had chickens (up to 70 at one point) for many years. We started on Pekin ducks this April, day olds. Kept 13 of them in a big cardboard box in the sunroom for 2 weeks, sometimes with a light, but most with just the woodstove, temp was well above 80 for that time, they did fine. Used hay as bedding only, cleaned every day as they made a mess with water. After only two weeks moved them out to our screened porch with a tarp as liner, covered with hay, added more daily, cleaned once a week. They were fine with no heat. Had cut out cardboard boxes so they could huddle and have shelter from wind and rain. They feathered out quickly, and distinguished night from day easily (much like training your baby). Now at 14 weeks, and for many weeks prior, they free range, but prefer to stay close to the house, have trained them with green peas (frozen but thawed) they come a runnin'. It's their favorite thing. Do deep bedding, just adding more hay so they have dry at night, and clean about every 2 weeks. They do well with that. Fill the water and food at dusk, they're not very hungry as they have fed on grass and bugs all day, and usually go right to sleep. Don't have to worry about them til mid morning, and then they want OUT. Hay is the best with our experience, wood shavings seem to hold the moisture more. Plus with our screened porch and them out all day, it dries out. They love to come back in at dusk and are trained to go in with "up, up ducks!" They are sweet things, but now coming in to sexual maturity, caught a female trying to mount another female today, while standing on top of another female in the pool, while the drake stood by and watched. He's a shy fellow with 12 wives, and as we all know, males mature more slowly LOL. Still trying to get winter plans together, will probably section off the chicken pen and make it weather ready (Maine after all), the chickens refuse to come out at the first snow flurry, so they'll have space. Don't want to room them with the chickens as the ducks are so poopy, but they'll have the whole pen to themselves. Hope this helps, and stay on and let everyone know how you make out and if you find anything inventive. Good luck! Oh, and by the way, the poopy hay makes excellent between row fertilizer for above ground plants, we feed our ducks corn and whole oats mixed with their food, and tons of oats come up, we yank it up and hand feed it to them off the stalk, they love it, and a great training tool!

Just regular whole oats, comes in 50 lb bags like their food, and cracked corn. Both are available here organic or regular, we do just the regular as most farmers here are "natural" anyway. Amazing how it sprouts up and grows very quickly. We are going to put some right out of the bag into the garden and cover it with the duck-poop hay. Grows like crazy, looks like a corn stalk when coming up and doesn't take up a huge amount of space. And yes, it grows right up from the poopy bedding! It's a wonderful treat for them.

Im concerned about what to do with the ducks in the winter? Do they come out in the snow??
How warm must they be kept?
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Im concerned about what to do with the ducks in the winter? Do they come out in the snow??
How warm must they be kept?
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Mine come outside of their house everyday in winter even when we have alot of snow on the ground, they usually hunker down under some of the feeder houses we have up to keep out rain and snow. trying to keep out of the wind mostly. Give them shelter from the elements and safety from preds fresh unfrozen drinking water and good quality feed and they should winter just fine, after all they wear down coats.

I have 2 ducklings who are just over 2 weeks now, and I am wondering...is there anything that I might have around the house that I can give them for grit...i can't get to the store again until we get home from camping, and I gave them peas, not knowing I needed to give them grit too (they are on duck starter feed as well) so what do I do now? (Sorry for the hijack!) Thanks!

If you let them out once in a while, they will find their own grit from the dirt, a gravel driveway or whatever. They like to get their bills into the lawn and make little holes, so they get plenty that way. You can use parakeet or similar grit as well, just a little is needed. We never gave out grit and they did quite well, but we have a "keet so they will share with him this winter.

Back
Top Bottom