New duck owner

ILikeSound

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
Hi everyone. I've been checking out your forum for a while and decided it was time to sign up. Last Wednesday my family received the four ducklings we ordered from ideal poultry and nine extra chicks that we were not expecting. Luckily a friend of mine and his family were happy to take the chicks off our hands. We currently have two khaki campbells, one pekin, and one runner.

-Will

Welcome Will, I'm also a new member to BYC. This is a great site to learn from others who have more experience in raising fowl. I started off with 8 chicks in March the next thing I know I have 4 ducklings in April. lol 2 kc hens, 2 mallards drake & hen. Ducks grow fast their as big as my chickens already. If you go to BYC learning center there are great articles by user name of support the dos & don't s of raising ducks. Enjoy your ducks.

Hi :welcome Will

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your new ducklings :celebrate I don't keep ducks myself but ducklings are super cute. Have you checked out the learning centre? Some super articles in the other fowl section on ducklings. Here is the link > https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

Be sure to ask any questions that you may have around the duck section of the forum. Lots of duck keepers there who will be able to help you.
Good luck with your ducklings and enjoy BYC :frow

Hatcheries usually add cockerel chicks to an order to use as living heat packs., especially on small orders. That's how little value the males are to them. Glad you found a home for them. Most people can't keep cockerels and don't expect to be getting them with an order- so it's a real problem for them.

Hello Will!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow
Good luck with your ducklings!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I've never raised ducks but they sure are cute. We got 1 'surprise' chick the last time we ordered from an online hatchery but 9 is a BIG surprise (especially when you only ordered ducks). Glad you were able to find a home for them.

Good luck with your ducklings! It's nice to have you here.

Back
Top Bottom