New duck with bumblefoot?? Please help!!

nachoqtpie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
So, back at the beginning of April, we got 4 ducks. 2 Pekin, and 2 Mallard. I loved my little mallard ducks. They were so beautiful with their just turning green heads. But alas, I knew that if I kept 1 girl with 3 boys, that I would soon have a very big problem.

I am part of a local "barnyard animals" group on facebook, and several people told me about a local hatchery that might swap me some females for my males. The people that told me about them had all had good experiences with them, so I called. They were willing to trade my 2 males for females, but I also had to pay for them. (Which I thought was kinda odd.... but whatever)

So, we round up our 2 mallard boys, and put them in a crate for transport. We get there, and everything looks pretty good. There are lots of runs with chickens, and turkeys. he takes my 2 boys and puts them in a rabbit hutch. he grabs a large net and we walk towards the back of his property. We get to their duck enclosure. It's a large enclosure full of sticks and branches. There are probably about 20 ducks and 1 very small pool. All the ducks were pretty dirty. He corners a couple of them and picks up 2 of them by the wings and carries them to my car. My daughter hands him this cute little note that she wrote for Phineas and Ferb (our mallards) and he kinda chuckled and told her that he would read it to them.

So, I get them home, put them in a clean enclosure with a large pool, and I notice that the one isn't really walking all that well. She's really really dirty, looks like she's been attacked by one too many males because there are feathers missing from the back of her head and neck, and she does try to run when I get closer to her, but, I picked her right up. I look at her feet and there are lumps on them. I bring her inside to put her in the tub and let her clean herself up in some nice clean, cool water. I let her stay in there for 10 minutes or so. She did clean herself up some and swam around a little bit. I then wrapped her in a towel and had my daughter take pictures of her feet. (So please excuse the bit of blurriness.)

I've thought about maybe taking her back and getting a different duck, but, I just can't take her back there.
sad.png
I'm actually thinking about asking if I could have my mallards back as well. What do I do?!?! I've felt the knobs and they don't feel like they're puss filled, but, since I don't have any experience with anything like this, I have NO IDEA what I should do!!

Use the search tab here in BYC great treatment threads on bumble foot have been posted. It won't be squishy like puss in humans. I wouldnt blaim you for wanting your boys back.

I would get my boys back, and begin treating her for bumblefoot. The bath was an excellent idea. Get some triple antibiotic ointment, not the kind with pain killers. If you can afford a vet you may want some help, but many people successfully treat bumblefoot at home.

I avoid cutting feet, but in her case she may need to have the wounds opened. I would use Epsom salts compresses (it's a laxative so I don't let my ducks swim in it), followed with antibiotic ointment from the gitgo, and think about whether you want to contact a vet or go further. It won't hurt and can only help, based on my experience

Okay.. I had someone come over and help me with her feet. We cut open and tried to get out as much as we could from 3 of them, and lanced 2 more. We then put triple antibiotic on it, followed by gauze, followed by cardboard triangles, followed by bright pink vet wrap! LOL

I have her fenced off inside of the duck enclosure with some food and a small amount of water.

While we were cleaning out her sores we noticed that he bill and feet were actually warm to the touch. I went to TSC and got some injectable Penicillin and with her weighing 5.5 pounds, my sister, who's a nurse, figured out that she needs .55cc. Now.. the next thing is... WHERE do I inject her, HOW do I tell I'm in the muscle, and HOW LONG do I give it to her for? I think it says on the bottle to not give it longer than 4 days (if I remember right). After that, how long do I toss her eggs? (We found 1 egg in the run late this morning, but I'm not sure who laid it. I'm pretty sure that it was either Zoey or Midna, which are the 2 new ones).

Back
Top Bottom