New duck!

I pick my ducks up by holding each side, keeping the wing down so they cant flap. Like this
images
(http://www.wikihow.com/Breed-Ducks)
Then I slide an arm under their belly and stroke their back with the other hand. NEVER by the legs, or the head. Thats just mean. Dangling a duck by the neck!!
he.gif
( you can actually pull the legs off if you are rough enough!!)
Never trust a feed store person if they have a bad attitude about ducks. I am lucky, coz at my TSC, theres a guy that really likes ducks, and is happy to help you with them. And he picks them up nicely
wink.png

Hope everyone stops picking on her, and that she will be happy now that she has nice water to get CLEAN in. Nice job
thumbsup.gif

That is how I pick them up too. :) If I need to hold it for a bit longer, I usually hold it against my chest or stomach, with one arm wrapped around from underneath, and the other hand one under the feet or on the back. Doesn't prevent being peed or pooped on though lol.

@Nyxsie It's always best to keep newbies to the flock separate for a while but where everyone can see each other then give supervised visits till everyone has accepted her. As long as they know she is afraid of them they will take advantage. And she doesn't speak their language being she is Muscovy and they aren't so if you could maybe get another female Muscovy for company for her? And you'd be rescuing another one too. Your scovy looks young.

I'd go back ask to speak to the owner and tell her what this employee said and did and that you were so upset by it you were thinking of reporting them but decided to talk to her first. That may get her to do something about him.

Muscovy's are awesome ducks and no animal should be treated like that. Bless you for caring.

She'll come around give her time and space and love and treats.

I didn't read the replies until now, so she has been with them all day. She was getting harassed quite a bit in the morning. After I left for about 1.5hours and returned a male duck to the breeder (Dad duck was NOT happy about the return of his son LOL. They are separated though until the breeder can find a new home for him), I returned home to see that things had calmed down a bit. She is able to be around them now, but Emma and the drake do try to maintain dominance. I see a lot of silent threats and glares. It reminds me of dogs in a way lol.

I could definitely consider getting another muscovy if she will be lonely without a companion. I don't think I will be able to rescue another from that business though, she was hesitant to sell any because she didn't want to get stuck with males- but agreed to sell me the one.

As usual I totally agree with
@Miss Lydia

Poor Little Ducky..........She will need another Muscovy to buddy up to......

Glad you rescued her....I have a rescue Duck myself.....She was so scared.....Only took her a few day to see that she was safe and that I would not hurt her...She was attacked by a Fox and even trusts my Dogs now.........

Cheer!

Hopefully she will warm up too. I can tell she is paying attention to everything I do, especially when I hand feed the other ducks and clean water. She seems smart. My Welsh Harlequins took forever to figure out the step to the pool, and sometimes occasionally it still seems like they forget. The muscovy immediately walked onto the ramp in the back (it's a cement block, like one that goes under a gutter) that I use to pour out the water so it drains out of the coop. Then she saw them go in on the other side, and she walked around and used the step to zoom through the water.

Nice set up and nice ducks.
I hope that they eat you help so you can improve the living
Standards of the animals.
They don't even have a shelter, they should have one.
I don't think that having lime in the hay is good.
That burns the insides of animals eg.rats
I read that somewhere.
I like hay too.
I use it in all of my breeding pens and brooders,
Do you think you will save any other ducks?
Goodluck
Fionn.
I see in your one picture that you have a dog kennel in the corner. Maybe you could keep her in there for a day or two so the other ducks can't actually harass her? That worked well for me, it made the new girl feel like she had a safe space and she acted more curious than afraid when she had the safety of the kennel door separating her from the others. Plus you can give her treats through the kennel door and she'll associate you with good things.

Things seem to be going pretty well now. Usually I hand feed my ducks and then leave a food bowl out after. I'm changing that to hand feeding them only and going on more often.This way she sees me a lot more, and sees my other ducks don't run from me- that I am the bearer of food (lol). From having her out all day today, I think she might like me less if I put her in the kennel now. :( Probably would have been better if I started it out that way. That's actually how Emma started to like me, when she was a duckling.

I can't exactly tell from your picture, but in your inside coop, is that an open space between the roof and the top of the wall? If so, just a word of friendly warning- my Scovy LOVES to perch up high on places like that. Now that she's got her flight feathers back (I initially clipped them when I got her last year) she is now very fond of flying to roof lines and tops of high fences.

There is not an open space, fully enclosed. :) It does look like that in the photo though. Hopefully she will like the perches in there then. I read before that if they don't learn to fly by 12 weeks old, they won't ever fly. Is this true? If it is, I wonder if she would know how... if she grew up in that cage (not sure how long they had them though). Speaking of, I forgot to call and ask her age. :( She didn't attempt to fly when they Harlequins were chasing her around in the beginning.

Your post really got my blood pressure up...I think that employee needs one of these:
smack.gif
. It's really a shame that someone with that kind of attitude works with animals. I sincerely hope he finds another line of work, preferably not working with animals or people.

Your chocolate girl is very pretty, and she's lucky that she's now living with someone who cares about her basic needs more than where she came from.
smile.png
My flock is all chocolate, and some look a lot like her. I think with time and patience, she'll grow used to her new environment and should get along famously with your other ducks (who are probably just being territorial and/or reinforcing the hierarchy). Scovies can usually hold their own, so I'd just keep an eye on the group to ensure the bullying doesn't escalate.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Yeah... I'm surprised that they hired someone who will talk so poorly about an animal they have. Especially when he has to take care of it.

Thank you. I thought she had a really sweet face, even if all her feathers all mangled and falling out. Can't wait to see what she looks like when that's over with. In the very first moments, when the Harlequins were unsure of her, she seemed like she would stand her ground. But so far all she has done is run away with a high pitch squeak. It seems like they are slowly accepting her though, she maybe there was a method there. :) Looking forward to tomorrow to observe and progress and hopefully make progress with her myself.

They got their pool. :) Haven't seen anyone swimming yet. If they don't swim by tomorrow morning I am going to change the step into a ramp or stairs. The muscovy is fascinated.

Have some other projects for tomorrow as well. Fun. :D

Last edited:
They got their pool. :) Haven't seen anyone swimming yet. If they don't swim by tomorrow morning I am going to change the step into a ramp or stairs. The muscovy is fascinated. Have some other projects for tomorrow as well. Fun. :D
They'll have a grand time in that pool! Sadly, it sounds like scovy may not have had a pool before.
1f641.png
Mine have a couple of small, shallow kiddie pools and a couple of bigger, taller ones - they wouldn't use a paver step to get into the big pools at first, but after a couple of days, they either used it or jumped right in. Sometimes they're just leery of new things.
1f642.png

They got their pool. :) Haven't seen anyone swimming yet. If they don't swim by tomorrow morning I am going to change the step into a ramp or stairs. The muscovy is fascinated.

Have some other projects for tomorrow as well. Fun. :D
You have a great set up for you flock and turtle. Your new Muscovy will catch on quick to your schedule as she watch's you and the other ducks.

They'll have a grand time in that pool!
Sadly, it sounds like scovy may not have had a pool before.
1f641.png
Mine have a couple of small, shallow kiddie pools and a couple of bigger, taller ones - they wouldn't use a paver step to get into the big pools at first, but after a couple of days, they either used it or jumped right in. Sometimes they're just leery of new things.
1f642.png

I'm glad to give her one. :) Last night I went back in and set it up with a cement block and a conveniently shaped rock (like an L) so there is a mini stairway on the step. Emma walked all the way up but didn't go in because the male walked away. :( At least I know it is accessible.

I swear she seems smarter than my Harlequins, even if she is really scared.

You have a great set up for you flock and turtle. Your new Muscovy will catch on quick to your schedule as she watch's you and the other ducks.

Thank you! :) The turtle isn't mine, but I'm kind of glad she(or he) is there. :) She's definitely always watching- I really look forward to when she is more comfortable in the new environment and with the other ducks.

Have you named her yet? She is so pretty and has been through alot seems those are the ones who really shine once they get into their new loving environment. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Have you named her yet? She is so pretty and has been through alot seems those are the ones who really shine once they get into their new loving environment. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I haven't named her yet, or the male Harlequin. I have a couple names in mind but still deciding. :) Sometimes I can be really slow for naming.

Back
Top Bottom