New duck!

I see in your one picture that you have a dog kennel in the corner. Maybe you could keep her in there for a day or two so the other ducks can't actually harass her? That worked well for me, it made the new girl feel like she had a safe space and she acted more curious than afraid when she had the safety of the kennel door separating her from the others. Plus you can give her treats through the kennel door and she'll associate you with good things.

Last edited:
That's the way I hold ducks,
I also hold chickens like that too.
How could you hold a duck by the neck.
I know it's safe but I would be scared incase I snapped the ducks neck.
It's even worse about the store worker holding the duck by the legs.
Fionn.

I concur that this is the proper way to pick up a Muscovy (being careful that the feet can't reach you or you'll get scratched), but I've also seen recommendations that for Muscovy, specifically, you turn them so that their rear is facing forward in case they [projectile] poop. I don't do that and have not been pooped on yet while carrying one, but I'll put it out there for consideration.

Further, I don't grab my scovies by the neck because I think they would go completely berserk and hurt themselves (or, more likely, me). I think the idea is, theoretically, that you could put your hand around a duck's neck and it would immobilize them - without putting any pressure on it or actually grasping it, like you might hold someone by the wrist. Sounds risky to me.

I can't exactly tell from your picture, but in your inside coop, is that an open space between the roof and the top of the wall? If so, just a word of friendly warning- my Scovy LOVES to perch up high on places like that. Now that she's got her flight feathers back (I initially clipped them when I got her last year) she is now very fond of flying to roof lines and tops of high fences.

Boy oh Boy.........I did not mean grab them by the neck to injure the Duck at all.....Hard to explain it correctly....I will try.....I corner my Ducks and with one hand I get them at the Base of the neck to stop them from moving and with the other I scoop them up like a foot ball.......I love my Ducks.....My little feathered puppies.........

Anyways, Sorry if I made it sound like I wring their poor necks?

Cheers!

...and good morning.

Inside coop. Don't mind the bags of dirty hay, haven't moved it yet lol. Used to be mulch in that first area... the hay kinda took over.

Outside coop. I wish I could plant grass but a tortoise lives here. Would never work. Hoping to plant some trees though.

Tortoise lol.

They have been chasing her all morning. Cornering her. She hid behind the kennel once as well.

I feel bad for her. She's terrified of them, of me, and probably everything else here too. Hopefully when I return one of the males today, they will decide to open up a spot for her. If anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

Your post really got my blood pressure up...I think that employee needs one of these:
smack.gif
. It's really a shame that someone with that kind of attitude works with animals. I sincerely hope he finds another line of work, preferably not working with animals or people.

Your chocolate girl is very pretty, and she's lucky that she's now living with someone who cares about her basic needs more than where she came from.
smile.png
My flock is all chocolate, and some look a lot like her. I think with time and patience, she'll grow used to her new environment and should get along famously with your other ducks (who are probably just being territorial and/or reinforcing the hierarchy). Scovies can usually hold their own, so I'd just keep an eye on the group to ensure the bullying doesn't escalate.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Boy oh Boy.........I did not mean grab them by the neck to injure the Duck at all.....Hard to explain it correctly....I will try.....I corner my Ducks and with one hand I get them at the Base of the neck to stop them from moving and with the other I scoop them up like a foot ball.......I love my Ducks.....My little feathered puppies.........

Anyways, Sorry if I made it sound like I wring their poor necks?

Cheers!

LOL...no, I got what you meant - it is hard to describe. What I was trying to say is that I understand how it might be theoretically possible to hold them like that without harming them, but I just think it could be difficult to execute safely with scovies. I have a Pekin drake that you can "corral" like that (only to briefly hold him in place), but he also doesn't beat me with his wings and go bonkers.
big_smile.png

LOL...no, I got what you meant - it is hard to describe. What I was trying to say is that I understand how it might be theoretically possible to hold them like that without harming them, but I just think it could be difficult to execute safely with scovies. I have a Pekin drake that you can "corral" like that (only to briefly hold him in place), but he also doesn't beat me with his wings and go bonkers.
big_smile.png
Scovy's can really put up a fight can't they. lol I haven't ever used gloves and have been clawed pretty bad. especially when clipping a wing. When I pick one of mine up I hold them around the body too.Never had one poop on me while holding but if you ever have a broody don't walk to close behind her oh my gosh is that nasty.

Last edited:
Scovy's can really put up a fight can't they. lol I haven't ever used gloves and have been clawed pretty bad. especially when clipping a wing. When I pick one of mine up I hold them around the body too.Never had one poop on me while holding but if you ever have a broody don't walk to close behind her oh my gosh is that nasty.
Oh, yes...broody poop. You can smell it from 20 feet away! I think if that got on my clothes, I'd just have to burn them.
lau.gif

Holding a mature drake can be very difficult, even if you're pretty strong. They have the clawed feet they know how to use as a weapon, and their wings are incredibly strong. If it wasn't so wasteful, I'd wrap their wings against their body (like you do to treat angel wing) every time I have to handle one. And the ducks...while they're not as big and strong as drakes, they're fast and wily! I think they may retain more "wild" nature than other breeds do.

Oh, yes...broody poop. You can smell it from 20 feet away! I think if that got on my clothes, I'd just have to burn them.
lau.gif

Holding a mature drake can be very difficult, even if you're pretty strong. They have the clawed feet they know how to use as a weapon, and their wings are incredibly strong. If it wasn't so wasteful, I'd wrap their wings against their body (like you do to treat angel wing) every time I have to handle one. And the ducks...while they're not as big and strong as drakes, they're fast and wily! I think they may retain more "wild" nature than other breeds do.
lol.png
Thankfully it only got on my shoes but they hose was my friend that day. My drake is so gentle he has never offered to claw me actually all my drakes I have had have been much easier to handle than the females.

You know your right they do retain more of the wild nature that is one reason I love them so. Their independent spirit.

Back
Top Bottom