New Duck

It is no different than a woman going through menopause or having a hormone imbalance.
She may have taken on more male like characteristics,
But that does not make her a transgender.
X2. There’s this YouTube farmer and one of his ducks was raised with geese from the very beginning- the incubator, and now that she’s grown up she thinks she’s a goose. She has every goose characteristic

X2. There’s this YouTube farmer and one of his ducks was raised with geese from the very beginning- the incubator, and now that she’s grown up she thinks she’s a goose. She has every goose characteristic
Some days I think I'm an ostrich too.
But an ostrich I never will be. 😢

Thanks for all of the responses! To the point of the duck being transgender, I can't really say. The people we got her from said that they got her as an egg laying hen, but she stoped laying, and developed drake feathers, but it's always possible he has always been a male. As for quarantining her, I'm thinking I probably won't. It sounds like the seller has taken good care of his ducks, and he's never had any issue with disease. However, this is the first time I've ever had to deal with this. If this is a terrible idea, and I should quarantine him, somebody please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks for all of the responses! To the point of the duck being transgender, I can't really say. The people we got her from said that they got her as an egg laying hen, but she stoped laying, and developed drake feathers, but it's always possible he has always been a male. As for quarantining her, I'm thinking I probably won't. It sounds like the seller has taken good care of his ducks, and he's never had any issue with disease. However, this is the first time I've ever had to deal with this. If this is a terrible idea, and I should quarantine him, somebody please let me know. Thanks!
I think that its possible for them to develop drake colors when they have hormonal issues I've heard of that happening before but if that is the case I'm sure he isn't fertile. I don't really think you need to if you want to as an extra precaution you can, but I once had a duck fly away and live in the wild for 7 months then I found her and just put her right in with my other ducks without quarantining them or anything and they all ended up fine.

If you have the opportunity to see the place and it looks clean and nothing appears sick...and the duck seems healthy.
You will probably be just fine.
Quarantine is always the safest bet. But I'm guilty of not doing it too.
Come back and post some pics and video when you get her!

Ok. We just got her! But she does have some issues. It looks like she has rather severe infections in both eyes. Should I soak them in epsom salt? Here are some photos
302CA9C8-EE07-4BF4-8111-EB397DEDD921.jpeg

Ok. We just got her! But she does have some issues. It looks like she has rather severe infections in both eyes. Should I soak them in epsom salt? Here are some photosView attachment 2472939
Um. I would quarantine that bird.
Poor baby!
Get her a bath first and take some more pics so we can see what your dealing with.

I have received a duck similar to yours in the past. The "bumps' around the eye are simply excessive debris accumulation associated with poor husbandry practices. For the gunk balls around the eye, I simply trimmed them as best I could with a small pair of scissors. The eye I flushed well with some 0.9% saline, which works well for lavaging out any matter, as well as killing off any non-halophilic bacteria. After a week of access to bathing in deep water, the debris balls around her face diminished.

Back
Top Bottom